Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any experience with Xantrex onboard battery chargers?

Good morning,

Seeing if anybody has experience with Xantrex battery chargers and or Promariner ProNautic battery chargers on their boats. I need a 3 bank 40amp battery charger to replace the old worn out Sentry model that has served our boat well.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Any experience with Xantrex onboard battery chargers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Good morning,

Seeing if anybody has experience with Xantrex battery chargers and or Promariner ProNautic battery chargers on their boats. I need a 3 bank 40amp battery charger to replace the old worn out Sentry model that has served our boat well.

Thanks in advance!
    Do you have the 12/24 setup where one battery is 12V for house or gen and the second is for 24V engine start? Or do you have 3 separate isolated 12V banks?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Xantrex products were great till they switched production to red China.

I have three ProMariner chargers altogether, they re great. But for all I know they could be made in red China too since I can’t even find a country of origin label on them
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Do you have the 12/24 setup where one battery is 12V for house or gen and the second is for 24V engine start? Or do you have 3 separate isolated 12V banks?
    This is my battery setup and the on board charger which I believe to be original (see pics/attachments). I am not entirely sure what the set up is with the batteries. I have (4) 8D’s. We just purchased the boat last May and I am still getting a lay of the land. I do have a genny, and I believe one battery runs the house DC items. The sentry charger that is in the boat now is a 3 bank 40amp. Thanks!
    Attached Images

5. Re: Any experience with Xantrex onboard battery chargers?

I replaced an old Charles unit w/ Xantrex and never noticed the difference; no issues after 5+ years.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    This is my battery setup and the on board charger which I believe to be original (see pics/attachments). I am not entirely sure what the set up is with the batteries. I have (4) 8D’s. We just purchased the boat last May and I am still getting a lay of the land. I do have a genny, and I believe one battery runs the house DC items. The sentry charger that is in the boat now is a 3 bank 40amp. Thanks!
    Looks like no 24V, just pairs of 12V in parallel. I asked because if you have the 12/24 setup you need separate 12V chargers for the 2nd battery in the series.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Looks like no 24V, just pairs of 12V in parallel. I asked because if you have the 12/24 setup you need separate 12V chargers for the 2nd battery in the series.
    Thanks for clarifying for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Xantrex products were great till they switched production to red China.

I have three ProMariner chargers altogether, they re great. But for all I know they could be made in red China too since I can’t even find a country of origin label on them
    I'm looking at a brand new Sentry right now and it seems to say Mexico on those terminals on the left. That's probably assembly and the bits could be from the Chicoms too I guess.

Sentry.jpg

Xantrex customer service is awful- but the Statpower charger on my boat, which is probably 12 years old, was made by them...

From new, though, I would buy something else.

Xantrex is junk

Promariner is a little better but go big and blue.

4 batteries need a larger than 40 amp charger.

Victron Skylla ip65 will be your best choice.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.