Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: A minor electrical mystery....

I’m not sure which ones are installed on Benedetto but this thread has me questioning if and what breaker they are on but I’ll find out next visit.
    The night before we plan a trip I’ll switch them on via the wall switch in the ER. I can here what sounds like circulation or maybe even bubbling which tells me they work. Of course the blocks feel warm after a bit which is also positive verification. After engine start I shut them down. We are full time on Lake Michigan. Is this proper operation or should I leave them on 24/7? I don’t have metered electricity.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    I’m not sure which ones are installed on Benedetto but this thread has me questioning if and what breaker they are on but I’ll find out next visit. The night before we plan a trip I’ll switch them on via the wall switch in the ER. I can here what sounds like circulation or maybe even bubbling which tells me they work. Of course the blocks feel warm after a bit which is also positive verification. After engine start I shut them down. We are full time on Lake Michigan. Is this proper operation or should I leave them on 24/7? I don’t have metered electricity.
    I leave mine on 24/7 during the winter season, shutting them off only just prior to engine start. This keeps moisture from building up in the engines. A side benefit is that the two bug pieces of iron are like radiators that keep the engine room at a reasonable temp as well as keeping the ambient moisture level down. When I first bought this boat I was at a marine that had metered electric and it wasn’t “financially feasible” to leave them on like I do now. If you are on a flat rate electric, I would recommend leaving them on.
    Jason ‘Noogie’ Erbecker
    "Liberty Risk”
    1974 46C
    Hampton, VA

Two types of heaters being discussed here. The Wolverines are glued to the outside of the oil pan.
    If memory serves its less than 5 amps. No problem 24/7 usage.

Not sure on the ones in the cooling circuit.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Are the 1500 watt cooling system units basically using as much power as an air conditioner?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

If memory serves the power lines lead to an elements that are threaded into the blocks. Maybe similar to what Robert posted?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that since they are connected to the bus bar behind the breakers they are in fact NOT running through a breaker...... Which is bad, as they are now only protected at the 50A level....
    Have you considered there is a sub panel or breaker out of the main box?
    I also recall on some Hatts, An ACv sub panel in the port engine room.

I have separate ac and dc panels in the ER.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Have you considered there is a sub panel or breaker out of the main box?
    I also recall on some Hatts, An ACv sub panel in the port engine room.
    Nope, unless it is IN the floor (unlikely) as I chased the wire.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The ZeroStarts and Kim HotStarts use about 1500watts each. They are great but draw a lot more current. The Wolverines are available in several different sizes. I have 250W pan heaters, and they are on all the time, from about October through April.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The ZeroStarts and Kim HotStarts use about 1500watts each. They are great but draw a lot more current. The Wolverines are available in several different sizes. I have 250W pan heaters, and they are on all the time, from about October through April.
    They actually make elements of differing wattage; 500, 750, 1000, 1500

If you don't like the current draw, you can use a smaller element. It just takes longer to heat up the coolant.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI