Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lasting outcome from painting headliners

Hi All,
    To everyone who has painted their headliners.
    How has it lasted over the years? Any peeling, flaking, discoloration, etc.?
    I'm going to use 100% acrylic paint as several members have used, does any particular brand perform better than others?
    Would really like input and advice on the paint tools used and suggestions on brands before buying, both good and bad.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    1965 50' Flushdeck Hull#9
    Houma, La.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1599353347

Re: Lasting outcome from painting headliners

I applied two coats to the headliner of my Chris Craft 21 years ago. The boat still belongs to the same club that I’m in and it still looks as good today as it did when I was finished 21 years ago. However I would not use any typical latex paint. Look up the company called SEM And use their vinyl paint that is made for headliners.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I would tend to agree - I don’t know when ours was done, but, it was at minimum 11yrs ago and it looks good.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Interesting, didn't know this was an option. And the paint doesn't clog the little holes?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

You can always over reduce/ add extra thinner if necessary

The little holes pop as you brush or roll it on or tip it off if you get it in spray. It takes two to three coats to cover but you can do it all in one day.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Checked out SEM and the headliner products I found were only in aerosol can or for spray guns. SEM also offers a another vinyl coating, sure-coat that can be brushed on, but is really meant for upholstery and has a complicated prep system. I sold all my paint spraying equipment some years ago and really don't want to go the spraying route with SEM, was looking for a more simple roll on method.

Some years ago one of our forum members, Rascal, used a 100% acrylic paint from Lowes made for vinyl siding and he had really good results simply rolling it on from the photos he included in his posts. I was wondering how it held up over a few years, does anyone know? I definitely would not use an exterior acrylic paint as he used, but would use a low VOC interior acrylic paint with mold and mildew resistance. That is if the acrylic paint did not peel, flake or cause the headliner to sag after a while.

My headliner does not have ventilation perforations but subtle decorative groove lines about an inch apart so no holes to clog.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    1965 50' Flushdeck Hull#9
    Houma, La.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1599353347

Found this online. I’ve never used it but it’s worth a look. Keep us in the loop.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Here is a couple more to look at.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

SEM products are very good , we sold them for many years.