Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Covered Slips are sinking in Tennessee. :(

Well some are sinking and one flipped from the ice today. I would have thought the weight would have been engineered into the design.
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Covered Slips are sinking in Tennessee. :(

That brings back memories for sure. Blizzard of '93 and Fort Loudoun Dam Marina in Lenoir City, TN. I called the marina the morning after we got a ton of snow to see if they still had power. They didn't, but the concern was sinking slips due to the weight of the snow. To make things more interesting, a tornado a week or so before had torn loose a section of dock that sealed the harbor. With that, we were a captive audience.

I told them I was driving over to move my boat to an open slip, but they told me not to. They wanted everyone to stay tied to the docks to aid them in staying afloat. Uh, no. I picked up a friend to whom I had sold a boat a couple of years earlier, and we moved our boats into open slips. We ended up staying on our boats and running our generators for a couple of days until things returned to normal.

Nothing happened that time, but the next big snow brought down the covered slips. They didn't sink, they collapsed. It was nowhere near as much snow as before, but they had apparently been weakened enough that they couldn't stand the next round. I had moved my boat by that point, but my buddy's boat received substantial damage. Other boats were totaled and/or sank.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

What lake are the pictures from.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

These pictures are from Old Hickory Lake on the Cumberland River. This is a community dock about 20 minutes by road way East of Downtown Nashville.
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 02-17-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Fresh Snow just finished these off downstream.

Several other places not looking good.
    Attached Images

www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Pretty dumb to stay on a boat when the docks had clearly been sinking.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

God weeding out the gene pool.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

The marina specifically warned people about being on the docks with this going on, but these people obviously didn't listen. I think they should be billed for that rescue as they put first responders in danger while keeping them from attending to others who weren't... dumb.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I think they should be billed for that rescue as they put first responders in danger while keeping them from attending to others who weren't... dumb.
    Yep. Just like an accident resulting from an unsafe lane change or other dumb move is not an "accident".... and should carry a 10K fine NOT payable by your insurance.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay