Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Refinishing Master Stateroom

And a few more.20210217_172929.jpg20210217_172655.jpg
    Finally got most of the paint/stain specs out of the pores of the wood with the 60 grit sandpaper.
    In some areas the original paint/stain had been applied more heavily and also certain parts of the mahogany had more open grain and the paint/stain was deeper in the grain.
    I am undecided whether to restore the mahogany arch to bare wood or just paint it white with the rest of the white walls around the portholes. Any input?
    20210214_164426.jpg
    Next step is go back over with 120 grit.
    This two week project is turning into a two month project!
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    1965 50' Flushdeck Hull#9
    Houma, La.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1599353347

There is no need to by a special sander to use the net type discs. You can get an adapter that velcroes to your orbital sander and then the discs attach to that. Ive used one and it works fine. Also there is a youtube video of a guy up here in Canada that built a cyclone dust collector from two home depot buckets. I have also built that and used it for sanding fairing compound, it works fantastic and cost about $30.00 to put together.

Since you have more to do its worth looking at.

Walt Hoover

It's going to be stunning. I'm already having sympathetic soreness for all the work.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    There is no need to by a special sander to use the net type discs. You can get an adapter that velcroes to your orbital sander and then the discs attach to that. Ive used one and it works fine. Also there is a youtube video of a guy up here in Canada that built a cyclone dust collector from two home depot buckets. I have also built that and used it for sanding fairing compound, it works fantastic and cost about $30.00 to put together.

Since you have more to do its worth looking at.

Walt Hoover
    Hi Walt,
    I found the backing pad adapters you mentioned that allow the use of the sanding screens with other brands of sanders and will be ordering some.
    I just watched the you-tube video from Chris Notap on making the cyclone dust collectors and I'm going to build that thing before starting my next sanding project!
    Thank you Walt for the two great tips.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    Houma, La.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    It's going to be stunning. I'm already having sympathetic soreness for all the work.
    Thank you,
    I do hope it will look a lot better than the original finish.
    This was more work than I realized and I'm glad this original paint/stain finish is only in the master and passageways.
    A lesson I learned from this project is how important prep work is with dust control and containment which I failed at doing.
    On the next sanding project, I will be using lots of plastic sheeting and covering the overhead, deck, and any penetrations where dust can enter/escape, electrical outlets, speaker holes, HVAC duct outlets, etc. When mahogany is sanded, the dust is as fine as talcum powder and the dust cleanup has been horrendous.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    Houma, La.

Looks great. I'd sand the "arch" too.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Pettigrewr View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I never heard of this sanding equipment company.
    I just checked it out.
    Looks like well built professional sanders with proprietary sanding disks that is like a net or screen that lets ALL the dust travel into the vacuum. I wish I had this before starting the current project although the prices are high. The 6' orbital sander alone without the vacuum is close to $500.
    The sanding disks are reasonably priced when buying in quantities like a case of 50.
    I going to check out ebay and facebook marketplace for a good used one.

Again, thank you for the info.
    When I did jobs like that I had two wonderful pieces of equipment that saved my old bones. They were call grandsons and loved helping me do projects like that.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Your project is looking great and all the hardwork will be worth the finished look. I admire your dedication and finishing work!
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Looks great. I'd sand the "arch" too.
    That's one of those "I want to, but then more work added".
    Talking to a friend of mine on the phone, He said "don't cut corners - do the job right!".
    When I asked if he would help me with the arch and some moldings, for some reason the call was disconnected and now when I call him, it just goes to voice mail. I guess his phone will be fixed in a few weeks when I'm done, LOL!

Your right, the arch needs to be done to make it all look complete.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    Houma, La.

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    Your project is looking great and all the hardwork will be worth the finished look. I admire your dedication and finishing work!
    Thank you,
    These are projects that once started, unfortunately there is just no turning back.
    When done, hopefully I will say it was worth it (if it turns out as expected) and would probably do it again, however, it really is a huge, time consuming project for one person and I'm glad I'm not living aboard right now, dust is everywhere even in the refrigerators!. And also one of those undertakings where as unplanned or undecided tasks come up, it's a "might as well do that too while I'm at it!" kind of projects which adds to completion anxiety. I am happily under budget but I misjudged the amount of mess and underestimated the timeline.
    For all those members contemplating an undertaking like this, however much time you estimate it will take, simply multiply it by 4.
    I'm taking a week off to recuperate and re-energize then back at it!
    Rob
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    Houma, La.