Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Olde Hatt may be for sale

My wife & I are having serious discussions about moving from our boat to dry land after 5+ years. OLDE HATT is a 1989 54' ED MY.
    I'm looking for some ideas or opinions:
    The 54 Extended Deckhouse is a limited edition model that has galley-up adjacent to the salon which makes it an excellent live aboard and for entertaining. Three state rooms en suite heads with a queen in each and a crew quarters with bunks. We put in an oversize compressor for the crew quarters A/C, took out the mattresses, installed wine racks and created a wine cellar in the Crew quarters.
    Most of our electronics are original. We have traversed the east coast from NY to Key West four times and lived aboard for over five years. We have used Navionics for navigation and the Auto-Pilot has stopped functioning. We are debating the issue of replacing the navigation/auto-pilot system and if it would increase the resale value enough to offset the costs.
    The mechanical and electrical systems are in excellent condition and well maintained and the boat has had a lot of TLC during our ownership.
    Would appreciate thoughts regarding our navigation system and salability of our baby.

Re: Olde Hatt may be for sale

Personally I really like the 54ED except for the lack of aft deck and the small balcony . But the interior lay out especially the galley is fantastic. The modern exterior is a big plus

Anything you put on a boat, whether electronics, autopilot, stabs, gen etc. instantly looses 50% of the money spent. Try fixing the AP, if cheap, otherwise don’t bother replacing. If it doesn’t work, don’t put it on the listing so a buyer doesn’t that you with an adjustment request after survey
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you're selling, leave the electronics alone, and let the new buyer install what they want. Otherwise you'll just give away what ever you install.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Lets see some photos.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

As a convertible shopper electronics are very buyer specific and I would prefer a dated and clean console than something I might not like for my specific use. Good luck.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Completely agree on the electronics. I just bought a 45 and expect to swap out everything - presently Simrad. The last thing I would want was for the PO to spend $$ putting in Simrad.

Oh, and for what its worth... "We put in an oversize compressor for the crew quarters A/C, took out the mattresses, installed wine racks and created a wine cellar in the Crew quarters" I'd much rather get laid on a mattress than a wine rack. I'm just not that young any more. That said, the wine rack might help the cause in its own way.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Completely agree on the electronics. I just bought a 45 and expect to swap out everything - presently Simrad. The last thing I would want was for the PO to spend $$ putting in Simrad.

Oh, and for what its worth... "We put in an oversize compressor for the crew quarters A/C, took out the mattresses, installed wine racks and created a wine cellar in the Crew quarters" I'd much rather get laid on a mattress than a wine rack. I'm just not that young any more. That said, the wine rack might help the cause in its own way.
    Not to mention you don’t want your crew hitting a wine buffet at the end of the day.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I agree on the electronics with the exception of a working autopilot it its a long ride home. I can integrate any autopilot with any other gear if needed. Then again what many call an autopilot may not meet my criteria for functional.

That being said I have a wood freeman system boxed up and ready for a new owner.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Not to mention you don’t want your crew hitting a wine buffet at the end of the day.
    Huh?

Why do you think I'm driving down instead of flying? Gotta have a case or two of homegrown for the ride.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Homegrown as in grape? Home made wine can be awesome.

I miss the good wine grapes down here. No cabernet or other full bodied grapes grow down here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.