Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 8D battery replacement suggestions

I have had very positive results with Interstates, last time from NAPA. Some say replace after 3 years, but I believe these are 6 yoa. The cells come up to full charge, except for one battery. The last time aboard, on the hard, they went Charge/Float/Full charge quite quickly, while I was observing.

One time once, I had a battery go bad and they will get very hot, if boiling dry. So I do NOT leave the charger on, while "in the building", but I do watch them closely at the dock. I.e., pull the hatches and test the cells state from time to time; 12.75 SG should be seen.

This is a 1972 43' DCFB with outboard batteries, so they are relatively easy to access.

P.s., I built a "rig" to pull the batteries last time. I adapted a trailer ratcheting winch to barn door rollers bolted to 2x6's and 2x4's. So up and out they come, and roll the center deck fairly easily. Full Red-Neck mode you might say, but somewhat straightforward. Two high school lineman could probably do as well. My Dad, who loved this boat, may he RIP, used to say "get someone with a strong back and a weak mind".
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 02-27-2021 at 12:07 AM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: 8D battery replacement suggestions

All, I am trying to figure out the battery configuration/setup on our 1981 43c. I have (4) 8D batteries that are wired in parallel. What’s the typical wiring set up that Hatteras used? 1 battery dedicated for the genny, 1 for the house, 2 for engine starting? The on board battery charger is an original Sentry C series 40amp, 3 bank. Trying to figure out what 3 banks the charger is currently charging and what each of the 4 batteries manage. Thanks in advance!