Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

8D battery replacement suggestions

All, I need to replace 2 of my 4 8D batteries during this winter's layup. Wondering what you all use and have had good fortune with and also which brand you have had not so good success with. Lead acid, not gel.

Thanks in advance!

Re: 8D battery replacement suggestions

We've had good luck with Sam's Club provided Duracell. Skip the AGM's they are not worth it.
    Regards
    Dan

i liked the rolls 8d's, but very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    i liked the rolls 8d's, but very expensive.
    Only seem expensive. If you consider they will last 10+ years with a smart charger, then they seem like a bargain because you put off the need for back surgery
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

And the charger is a big part of how well they last.

New chargers can be the cheapest upgrade you make.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You're absolutely right. Mine lasted 10yrs, never had an issue. When I swapped them out, I gave them to a friend that used them to run his pellet stove. he used them for many years after that.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Only seem expensive. If you consider they will last 10+ years with a smart charger, then they seem like a bargain because you put off the need for back surgery

Rolls/surrett Last set of Rolls 8Ds lasted 14 years and only gave up prematurely because i was lazy and let the tops of the plates dry out a few times. current set is 7 years old.
    They run a 2000 watt inverter when not at the dock. They take a decent work out and last.

It's all about the charging system. Money spent on a quality charger will be paid back in battery savings. We have 14 years on our 8D engine starter batteries. Just replaced my house bank at 13 years!

Keith
    Lady J

Thanks for all of your input! Our Hatteras has the original Sentry battery charger still in service (40amp 2 bank. It services (4) 8D batteries. I would like to approach the idea of installing a new battery charger at some point. I prefer something that is as "plug and play" as possible. What have you all updated your boats with? Thanks!

Victron makes a great charger. Call Scott (BoatsB) and he'll set you up.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI