Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: Worth a look. 68 41C

It would be nice with newer power but if you did repower her with Cummins, you will have spent 100K+ and still have a 85K boat.

Re: Worth a look. 68 41C

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    If I was to go down that rabbit hole of changing engines, I would remove all the running gear, and install some Yamaha outboards. I once visited a boatyard in Belize that specialized in doing that, but that was back when one could pick up outboards real cheap.
    That's a pretty severe CG shift.........
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

3. Re: Worth a look. 68 41C

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That's a pretty severe CG shift.........
    well, I was one of those regular heavy weather Haulover Inlet runners (for fun) and would come and go to the Bahamas when it was too rough for LEO to be out, so...”no worries mate”. The space where the engines now sit could be put to good use in “down the rabbit hole” dreams.

Can someone please explain what is so wrong with DD 2 stroke engines other than a bit higher fuel consumption??? When maintained they are extremely reliable. Parts are reasonable. Agree mechanics familiar with them are in short supply. But what EXACTLY is so wrong about them. I have run my 8-92's for over 2500 miles so far and they have not exploded yet!

Will the detonate next time I start??
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Can someone please explain what is so wrong with DD 2 stroke engines other than a bit higher fuel consumption??? When maintained they are extremely reliable. Parts are reasonable. Agree mechanics familiar with them are in short supply. But what EXACTLY is so wrong about them. I have run my 8-92's for over 2500 miles so far and they have not exploded yet!

Will the detonate next time I start??
    Not even sure the fuel consumption is higher. It takes a certain amount of fuel to unleash a horse power and these engines are no less efficient than any other of comparable technology. And yes they are relatively simple and reliable.

So AFAIK nothing is wrong with them. But opinions are like arm pits. Most people have a few. And if you say green they say blue. Whatever.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay