Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Speed, weight and horsepower

Catching up from a week in the Bahamas and saw a thread a page or two back discussing how weight really affects cruising speed, etc. Big or nominal impact.

I think there was a reference to how the boat performed when it was new or newer and maybe a little lighter.

It got me thinking about whether or not you lose horsepower over the years and with hours of use....

What I'm getting at is this....I've got a pair of 1989 8V92TAC's, Covington's, 2600 orginal hours, no rebuilds....seemed to be dialed in and running fine...boat is always run conservatively..new they were spec'd at 720 HP each....after 2600 hours....does the ability to produce that HP start to degrade or is it already diminished?

If so anyone venture to guess by how much? Thanks.

2. Re: Speed, weight and horsepower

Yeah, there's probably a 10-15% reduction in output over their useful life.

But there's a 5% variation when new just based on how well (or poorly) everything fits together, all within tolerance, assuming ordinary "factory" assembly methods (no special care)

So is it really material? I doubt it, except at the margins.... where you don't want to run anyway.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Speed, weight and horsepower

Based on my military experience, I would tell you a 10% reduction in advertised HP would be normal, given the affects of wear, factory variables, etc. But I would think added weight to a boat a more significant detriment. I agree with previous posts, the 10% loss probably will never matter - but the weight being added just kinda keeps growing.
    Remeber diesels like to be worked, not dogged, so given that I think it's a 'wash'.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan