Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Haul Out

Re: 2021 Haul Out

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Better than the generator removable is the ability to change batteries easily as you do that a lot more often than generators(hopefully) John
    Exactly. That and the occasional appliance.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The haul out and genset removal has been brought forward a few days.

So today I removed half of the headliner which will allow the Kohler genset to go strait up and out.

There are a few wires to relocate for the task, but nothing difficult. The headliner removal took about 2 hours and a few hundred staples. I was able to pinpoint old water leaks.

On Friday I will peel back half the carpet to expose the other part of the floor hatch.

Plastic carpet protector has now been laid in other areas where the workmen will be. This is a single sticky sided clear film in a long rolls about 2.5' wide. Great product for protecting things.

kohler 1.JPG
    Red square is where the roof cut out will be.

Kohler 3.JPG
    There is so much room under the headliner especially at the top of the lower stairwell. It would be a different boat with today's CAD design. Everything was hand cut in the wood shop.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-03-2021 at 01:22 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Its always fun to take things apart to see whats there. You really get to know your boat and how it was built.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Your pictures are similar to our project boat. We made a plywood ramp from below the front hatch to the power room, slid all back and lowered it down in pieces.
    First pic shows the old MD4 under the front hatch ready for hoisting up & out. Long fork lift used after we bowed into the travel slip.
    All old stuff out, two gen sets (in pieces) onboard in less than an hour.
    Used dowels to roll the old/new stuff fore/aft on.
    A frame under end of the ramp to raise/lower the old/new stuff up/down.

Not even a finger nail smashed.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-03-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Not even a finger nail smashed.
    If there was no blood it doesn't count. Seriously, nice execution.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The carpet was taken up today and revealed a very nice surprise! A huge and wide hatch which simply lifted out.

This is possibly similar to the hatch area that Dottieshusband used when he installed a genset last year.

Anyway, this welcome find has reduced the labour and time for genset removal to a minimum.

I am thinking of affixing the smaller hatch permanently and then cutting the large hatch 2/3 along using hinges and gas struts. It sure would make for easier entry and exit.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-05-2021 at 06:26 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

If anyone decides on making a hole in the roof, and putting a hatch there... Sams had a bunch of unused hatches a few years ago. I don't know how many are left, if any, but I dimly recall them being in inventory.

The hole in the roof has been completed, genset ubolted and boat is now out of the water.

The Shipwright sealed the underside with plastic and not a speck of dust has entered the boat during the cutting process.

The deck was fibreglass on both sides with balsa in the middle. Everything has been prepaired for replacing and repairing the deck. Genset will be craned out tomorrow.

Here are some photographs that I took this morning there are more to come that were taken by the shipwright.

The boat weighed a total of 44 tonnes with 2000 L of fuel and zero water. We all thought that it would weigh 48 tonnes.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-11-2021 at 04:02 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

When you are getting ready to install the hatch, make sure you dig out some of the balsa core and fill with epoxy, also where you drill holes for the hatch also dig out core material and fill with epoxy. Then drill your smaller finish hole. This will eliminate any water intrusion. See article by Steve D'Antonio https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/c...deck-hardware/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich60175 View Post
    When you are getting ready to install the hatch, make sure you dig out some of the balsa core and fill with epoxy, also where you drill holes for the hatch also dig out core material and fill with epoxy. Then drill your smaller finish hole. This will eliminate any water intrusion. See article by Steve D'Antonio https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/c...deck-hardware/
    I thought they were just glassing it all back up.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI