Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Haul Out

2021 Haul Out

Next week we are hauling out near Sydney for a week on the hardstand. Antifoul, repositioning sea cocks, replace rudder packing, complete polish.

The primary objective will also be to remove the broken 1984 Kohler 20kva #1 genset.

They can disassemble it in the genset room and bring it up bit by bit over two days or the shipwright can cut a hole in the roof above the floor hatch and pull it out in one go with a crane.

Which method would you choose? The decking above the hatch needs to be repainted anyway with non slip.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: 2021 Haul Out

I would not cut unless absolutely necessary. It can come out mostly whole up the stairs and out the back. Mine did.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Double ditto!!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Better to take it apart and get it out that way. I would not make a hole in the overhead.

I went the hole route, had to remove 2 generators and put in one new one. Put an opening hatch in the hole and now have more lite and ventilation. Also on the 53 the hatch also allowed for easy battery change out using our yacht clubs small boat launching crane. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

So the decision has been made and genset will go out through the roof.

There are several reasons including manpower, cranes, wharf availability and hardstand time.

As it is the boat will be on the hard for 8 days. All the prep work for the crane will have been done.

The Admiral and I will start removing headliners and carpets on Saturday.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Last year we completed the removal of the original OhNo 20 (MD4) and install of new NLs, 12 & 20kws. On a Galley up Hatt.
    All in pieces.

The year before installed a NL12, in a galley down. Yep, in pieces
    Warranties are good.

Not to say there is a good / bad way to do things, just it can be done well with out mods to the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I went the hole route, had to remove 2 generators and put in one new one. Put an opening hatch in the hole and now have more lite and ventilation. Also on the 53 the hatch also allowed for easy battery change out using our yacht clubs small boat launching crane. John
    This is the route I would, and eventually probably will take. You have a link to the hatch you used? And, did you find the roof/deck structurally solid enough after cutting the hole so you did not have to add any reinforcements? If/when I do this I plan on putting a solid glass ring in the laminate around the hole at least 3" wide.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Does anyone that put the opening in have any photos they can share?

Salty Lady 1979 53’ MY #555
    Ft Pierce Fla Chester Ct

Oscar, you don’t need any extra reinforcement, the deck is plenty strong. We did the removal and install after I cut the hole and before I installed the hatch which gave a bit more room. I bought the biggest Lewmar hatch I could find at Fisheries Supply. I have a friend who did the same thing and found a bigger hatch than mine, but that was 20 years ago. I don’t know if Bomar is still in business, but I bought a huge hatch from them in the 80’s. Better than the generator removable is the ability to change batteries easily as you do that a lot more often than generators(hopefully) John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.