Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: 32V charger behavioral changes......

I replaced my La MARCHE (aka the cooker) with a Sentry last year. What adifference, my batteries never boil and I only added water once throughout theseason. I did my research and it came down to Analytic or Sentry. I wentwith the Sentry based on the recommendations from this site but I'm sure theyare both good. For what it is worth, I spoke directly with someone at Sentrywho took the time to make sure I had all the specs and got exactly the rightcharger. I like that kind of customer service.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Re: 32V charger behavioral changes......

What do they charge for the Sentry?

If you can't do an equalize charge with the Sentry then you'll never see the full life out of the batteries. You have to be able to desulphate the plates.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

4. Re: 32V charger behavioral changes......

I believe the Sentry was under $1,000. Call the company and work directly with them rather than a reseller if you go the Sentry route.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C

The sentry is not under $1000.00

This is list price from my sheet.

SFR3230/3X$2,340Output: 32V, 30A, 3 Banks / Input: 115/230V, 60Hz (Lead Acid, AGM or Gel)SFR-TEMP$130Temperature Sensor for SFR chargers 12” extension (Monitors Battery Temp.)SFR-TEMP-20$175Temperature Sensor for SFR chargers 20’ extension (Monitors Battery Temp.)Ammeter$340Additional charge to add ammeter to any chargers listed above (see photo below)

I'm sure someone will doubt it but it's a cut and paste from my dealer price sheet.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

All done..... pretty happy with the result. Had to extend the battery wires as the old Sentry was a bottom connection.....Will see how the batteries do.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-10-2021 at 11:55 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Looks good. I’ll be doing my sterling install next weekend.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I still have the old NewMar onboard. The boat came with a brand new Sentry 32v still in the box. However, it's a 30A and the boat has 16 8v batteries...two sets of four 8v on each side.

Obviously, that's a small charger for all that lead. After sitting on it for 100 days, I think I'm going to install it anyway. We're just not using much juice. I've only had to turn on the NewMar for maybe 15 minutes each week...or less. With the boat right behind the house, it doesn't go unattended for long periods of time. The engines will always run at least every couple weeks.

My only concern is will that charger properly charge two 8 battery banks? Really, my major concern is a battery getting overcharged, from not working properly on all these batteries, and not the opposite.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 05-11-2021 at 01:02 PM.

9. Re: 32V charger behavioral changes......

I'm not sure why you would need 16 8V batteries. 2 banks of 4 should be enough to power the boat. On my 55C one bank is used for the engine, the other is for the generator and house. The 32V Sentry 30 amp is plenty for 2 banks. One bank on the charger left unused.

You may be able to shed some weight and make some room.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    I'm not sure why you would need 16 8V batteries. 2 banks of 4 should be enough to power the boat. On my 55C one bank is used for the engine, the other is for the generator and house. The 32V Sentry 30 amp is plenty for 2 banks. One bank on the charger left unused.

You may be able to shed some weight and make some room.
    Exactly. The PO had started outfitting the boat, as he thought was necessary, to cruise the Caribbean for a couple years. So, there are 19 batteries onboard. A lot of things were isolated away from the main banks to a separate 12v D-cell. Maybe he planned to put solar panels on for that?
    The 2 12v in the bow for the 24v windlass don't even have a charger, nor does the 12v.

Anyway, his wife got cancer shortly after they started and everything stopped and sat for 5 years. I'm trying to put it all back to normal.

That said, do I remove 8 batteries? I figured I'd leave them until they start dying and replace the 16 with 8. They're all 2016s and operating well.
    The 8 on port are for the house and 8 down the middle start the SB engine. 8 batteries for a starter. And yes, the boat lists slightly to port with 8 batteries over there!