Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

32V charger behavioral changes......

This is in dock, engines off, shore power connected.

For months it would charge for 2-3 minutes, as witnessed by a fairly loud humm, and pump 2-30A into the system as witnessed by the gauge. Then it would stop and the amber light would illuminate. Turning on 32V users, like the engine room lights would increase frequencey.

Now it's cycling more rapidly for shorter periods. (10-15 secodns) and the light only flashes when it stops charging, then it goes out.

Hmmmmmmm.

While I would like to think these old units were built like tanks to last forever I am also not 100% sure that they are as sophisticated as todays units. To wit, there is a lot of wet gassing at the batteries resulting in wet battery tops. I think the bursts of 40A may not be the best thing, and a more continuous lower amperage would be better.

What is the replacement of choice, if any?

Thank you for your thoughts as always.

(On edit, I don't have the model number and am looking for a picture. It's the 1x1x2 foot box with ammeter, amber light and two switches on the front)
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-31-2021 at 03:44 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: 32V charger behavioral changes......

Sentry services their units. I've sent customers units in for refurbished and repair more than once.

Also check the batteries. They may be the cause.

You can't diagnose the problem without a full list of symptoms.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I’ll be replacing my LeMarch charger this season. There’s not a lot of choices, analytical systems and Sterling are my two comps. Sterling is under $600 analytical is over $1k last time I checked.
    I replaced 6 out of 8 of my batteries last year with the final 2 coming this season, there was a two month lag time due to the China flu and a odd high demand for 8V.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

how old are your batteries? they may have the charger doing things that are not normal
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    how old are your batteries? they may have the charger doing things that are not normal
    Hmmm, that's possible although the change was rather sudden.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Hmmm, that's possible although the change was rather sudden.
    Cold weather makes batteries do things rather suddenly.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Analytic makes a great charger. I have had mine since 2004. The equalize function really extends the life of your batteries.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Oscar this is my experience from spring 2020. I have the Sentry charger, original 1973. Because I left a light on and went home which depleted my starboard bank. When I put my charger on it would charge for a few minutes then stop. One of the switches on the front of mine is a circuit breaker for the charging voltage and it would trip from the overload. My cure was to bring a portable charger and slowly bring up the voltage to a point where the sentry could take over.

Walt Hoover

Every time I have a short cycling charger , there’s a weak battery. With 8 volt batteries you can usually check each cell with a multimeter . I would think that you will find one bad cell . Also after running the boat , with a hot engine room , the charger stays charging for much too long if a battery is going bad. Obviously my batteries are in the engine rooms .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Same experience as JMooney over multiple chargers over multiple boats.

John McCarley
    Water Colors - 63 MY
    Wrightsville Beach NC