Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boat Command

Re: Boat Command

OK, here's some more of this. There is a second battery monitor position. So I've ordered a 32V-12VDC converter and will use that to monitor the 32V system. It won't tell me the actual value of course but I can establish what the normal reading is with the 32V battery charger doing it's thing. If it goes below that I know the power supply to the bilge pumps is compromised.

Then there is a high water monitor which is simply a float switch to ground. Easy peasy.
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

For your bilge pump monitoring, all you generally need is a resistor in series, between the 32v source and the input pin on your unit. Something in the range of 10k ohms. That is how I connected mine (not a Boat Command).
    Last edited by Photolomy; 01-28-2021 at 03:02 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    For your bilge pump monitoring, all you generally need is a resistor in series, between the 32v source and the input pin on your unit. Something in the range of 10k ohms. That is how I connected mine (not a Boat Command).
    Ah, that makes sense. Then again a small step down converter is under $10.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Your other option around the 32V problem is to wire it in to the bilge pump red indicator lights on the bridge. When the pump is running these lights are on and they are already stepped down from 32V to 10V or 12V with a resistor. It also allows you to keep all of the transmitters in one location and out of the bilges. Just a thought.
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Walters View Post
    Your other option around the 32V problem is to wire it in to the bilge pump red indicator lights on the bridge. When the pump is running these lights are on and they are already stepped down from 32V to 10V or 12V with a resistor. It also allows you to keep all of the transmitters in one location and out of the bilges. Just a thought.
    Guy
    That would work. Except everything is in one place down there and I'd have to run a wire up there. Not the end of the world, just more work.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay