Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boat Command

Boat Command

Just installed the system yesterday. Today sitting at home and the screen tells me the boat is where it's supposed to be, the OAT is 30ºF, the engine room temp is 47ºF, the shore power is on, and the 12VDC system is showing 13.7VDC. If any of those parameters change by a set amount I get an alert. (Except the OAT)

There are a few other doodads you can hook up, including up to 3 12VDC relays, which could control a 240V relay which could turn on, for instance, engine room heat. So, monitor weather and engine room temp, and give it a shot of heat when necessary.

I mounted it in the port engine room, next to the 12V charger which is there with a 120VAC outlet. Everything within a foot of each other. Took less than an hour. It's cellular based, including geo location, and works fine down there.

I like it.

As an interesting side note: Using a refractometer I determined the salinity around the boat to be 10% by weight, with an SG of 1.075 which would put the freezing temperature at around 21-22ºF. Current water temperature is 37ºF. Not going to bet the farm on that but it's cool to know.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-25-2021 at 11:02 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Boat Command

Interesting. I'd like a system like that. It looks like the black box doesn't need a clear view of satellites for GPS location.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Was the installation difficult? Self installed ?

It's down in the engine room and reporting position, so not having a clear view of the sky it must be triangulating off the cell system. Either way it's not important as it is not for navigation but security. Even with inaccurate or intermittent position reporting it will let me know if it moves and roughly where to ......

Yes, self installed and not hard. Velcro, zip ties and crimp terminals, A small puzzle with the wire coding but figured it out. Have to clean up some of the wiring and then I'll take a picture.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-26-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I also want to do some sys monitoring and eng monitoring in the near future. There is quite a few to choose from so by the time I get around to actually doing it the newer better should be out.
    I see you have it watching your 12v dc, did you convert from a 32v system or is that a gen/house btty?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I also want to do some sys monitoring and eng monitoring in the near future. There is quite a few to choose from so by the time I get around to actually doing it the newer better should be out.
    I see you have it watching your 12v dc, did you convert from a 32v system or is that a gen/house btty?
    That's my Electronics battery. Don't think they have a 32V monitor. I could get a 32v to 12V converter and then I would monitor the 32V system and, in theory, the operation of the bilge pumps. Or I can get a high water sensor and then I would know if the pumps are either not working or not keeping up. There is a sensor that monitors pump cycles but that's 12V. I guess a 12V float switch would operate in tandem with the 32V pump. Lots of ways to do this, high water being the easiest as it would be straight down from the module.

And now you have me thinking (notice smoke coming out of my ears). ARE my bilge pumps in fact 32V? Hmmmm
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I’m pretty sure mine are, I found a new spare pump and it’s 32V. Would be nice to monitor bilge cycles and a continuous run. I’m about 2hrs from my boat when it’s slipped and have a few friends that live nearby for an emergency.

Would be nice to monitor bilge cycles and a continuous run.
    I believe it will do that. Need to find a low power 32 to 12V converter....

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Volta...1708795&sr=8-3
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-26-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Looks easy enough. A cycling bilge pump is a sure sign your high water alarm will soon be going off.
    I have found a few 32-12v converters hidden around my boat, one is a radio shack and looks new but is the size of a vcr.

I have found a few 32-12v converters hidden around my boat, one is a radio shack and looks new but is the size of a vcr.
    Probably more power than the 3mA you need....LOL
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay