Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fuel tank gauges/senders

1991 Hatteras 52 CMY. Four fuel tanks (forward, mid, aft, cockpit). Previous owner installed new VDO (Viewline Ivory 0-1/1 - 12/24V) gauges on the flybridge. Original tank gauges installed at the lower helm. None of the tank senders were updated. I believe they are Centroid senders.

The only gauge that indicates fuel level is the aft tank at the lower helm (tank is full and gauge indicates full...of course it could be stuck).

I'm more concerned that the flybridge gauges work than the lower helm at this point. I'm looking for advice on troubleshooting the system and appreciate your recommendations.
    TANGO
    1991 Hatteras 52 CMY
    Beaufort, NC 28516

Re: Fuel tank gauges/senders

Get Wema senders from Sam’s.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

by website information it looks to me that centroid only supplies 240-33 ohm sending units where vdo offers several options on resistance. If the sending unit and gauge ohm specification dont match, they wont work. Get the part numbers of the vdo gauges and see what resistance they are. You could also check the sender with a known good/matching gauge at the tank connection.

I have had Centroid senders and gauges for both diesel fuel and water level for years. No moving parts, work on capacitance. www.centroidproducts.com Give them a call--I have found them helpful and knowledgeable. I had to call years ago about matching a new gauge and they nailed it.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I myself have not had good results with the Centroid senders.
    I ordered Wema's and all good.

VDO equipment can drive you crazy; VDO standard, VDO Stewart Warner compatible, single or dual display meter/gauges.

Wema has spoiled me, Just call them up with tank depth, Sender mount style (screw in or SAE 5 screw), voltage and how many gauges per sender.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-28-2021 at 07:37 PM.