Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: How important are stabilizers on a 53' in the Great lakes i.e. lake Huron?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    Don’t leave the dock if there not working . A 53 hatters will roll like you have never seen before.
    That's a bit high drama in my opinion. Yes stabilizers work and make the ride more comfortable. But while lively I don't think the sea keeping characteristics of the 53 are excessively concerning, nor are they unique. Many, if not all vessels with similar design parameters exhibit similar behavior.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I don't know what it is like in the Great Lakes, but in the ocean they can roll to the point that you think they will roll over. But that is if you run it with the waves abeam. I don't have any plans of adding stabilizers because it is simple enough to cut across wakes and not run abeam to waves in the ocean, but I could see the advantage of having them. Of course, I don't get seasick, but if you tend to then maybe they are required.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

It's the wife's decorating flying around that's my problem.....
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

And you don't want to spill your drink
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I disagree. One of the best benefits of stabilizers is neutralizing the effect of wakes. Those can hit you without warning.
    And in the lakes, the winds can come up quickly in the afternoon. What seems like a comfortable cruise can turn into a rough ride in a hurry.
    Not particularly important but I wonder about your disagreement. I mentioned that I was running a 48 MY and not a 53 but I certainly was never concerned about stabilizers to minimize the affect of wake while underway.
    I basically boated throughout the Great Lakes....all of them....and down to Grenada.
    In MY experience, my stabilizers levelled out the ride in beam seas and those of any consequence were experienced in blue water passages and inter-island.
    Obviously, others with different boats and different "home" waters will have different experiences.

I feel that they are needed in all conditions. That's my disagreement. I don't leave the dock without turning them on. I never owned a boat with stabilizers until I bought this one 17 years ago. I did not place any value on them when I bought the boat. I didn't care. Now, I would not have own a boat without them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

fresh water is more dense than saltwater. Wave energy is more significant on lakes. Bruce / Freestyle on this board gave me great advice during my purchase journey. Buy a stabilized 53, since the extra cost is 1/2 of what they cost to install.
    Those that have unstabilized boats in the ICW near me operate differently. They pull power, turn hard away from wake and then turn bow first into the wake. With stabilizers, you can just watch and enjoy the day.
    Amazing innovation. Get a planing hull, or stabilizers IMHO.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I suppose it's like air conditioning, for those that were around before it was more or less standard in a car, once you have it.....

Also 4 wheel drive, for us up in the snow and ice areas. Once I had it in a truck I will never have a truck without it!

4 wheel drive in snow allows some people to get into more trouble. It's not a cure for bad roads. It's a way to get moving on them. Stopping and steering don't change much with it on most vehicles. I pulled many 4 wheel drive cars and suvs out if snow banks years ago.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    fresh water is more dense than saltwater. Wave energy is more significant on lakes. Bruce / Freestyle on this board gave me great advice during my purchase journey. Buy a stabilized 53, since the extra cost is 1/2 of what they cost to install.Those that have unstabilized boats in the ICW near me operate differently. They pull power, turn hard away from wake and then turn bow first into the wake. With stabilizers, you can just watch and enjoy the day.Amazing innovation. Get a planing hull, or stabilizers IMHO.
    Want to research your statement regarding fresh versus salt water density?
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay