Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: How important are stabilizers on a 53' in the Great lakes i.e. lake Huron?

Anyone able to comment on SeaKeeper units versus fin stabilizers such as Naiads?

As far as 4WD/AWD, anyone who lives where it snows ought to have one. Although, as Scott pointed out, you still have to drive with your brain, not just your right foot.

Correction. Great Lakes fresh water is more dense than the Southern Atlantic ocean but it is because of the colder temperature and not the salinity, as I posted before.
    Conclusion was correct, cause was not. thanks for suggesting I check.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    4 wheel drive in snow allows some people to get into more trouble. It's not a cure for bad roads. It's a way to get moving on them. Stopping and steering don't change much with it on most vehicles. I pulled many 4 wheel drive cars and suvs out if snow banks years ago.
    A hard say'n: Drive in on two, drive out on four.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    A hard say'n: Drive in on two, drive out on four.
    this could use that "like" button

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    Correction. Great Lakes fresh water is more dense than the Southern Atlantic ocean but it is because of the colder temperature and not the salinity, as I posted before.
    Conclusion was correct, cause was not. thanks for suggesting I check.
    The maximum density attainable by fresh water is 1.000 g/ccm at 4 degrees Celsius (4 degrees above freezing). That used to be the standard for a gram. Any warmer or any colder, the density is less.

Sea (salt) water has a density of 1.025 g/ccm at room temperature.

I don't see how sea (salt) water under any circumstances could be less dense than fresh water.

Fresh water: https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects

Sea water: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/s...ies-d_840.html
    Last edited by Photolomy; 01-30-2021 at 03:59 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I don't how sea (salt) water under any circumstances could be less dense than fresh water.
    It can't.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

How do stabilizers compare to paravanes?

A hundred times easier to use. Paravane gear to set up the system costs almost as much as stabilizers do and they take so much work to deploy people tend to put off using them until it gets nasty. The other problem happened to a friend coming up to San Diego from Cabo. He had his deployed on a Nordhauven 40 and a whale attacked one and bent the heck out of the rigging. John check out the YouTube videos from Cruising Sea Venture they installed them and discuss how much it cost.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Ho-Hum...ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults