Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Help removing wildcat

I am having a hard time finding a replacement windlass with a long enough shaft. I need a collar that is at least 11 3/4 inches long. That is the space between the top of the pulpit and the bottom of the deck.

Any suggestions?

I put a Lewmar on my boat, contact supplier and ask for a longer shaft. Lofran also sell a longer shaft. the extended shafts are sold separately and are easy to swap out before installation. P

The other alternative is to go with a horizontal windlass if one would fit. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    I am having a hard time finding a replacement windlass with a long enough shaft. I need a collar that is at least 11 3/4 inches long. That is the space between the top of the pulpit and the bottom of the deck.

Any suggestions?
    Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but there is a keyway on the GalleyMaid shaft that has a push-in tab. On mine it pulled out easily. However my pictures of this are on the bottom of the Caloosahatchie River in my old phone... As far as replacement windlasses, I found Lofrans and Lewmar would both provide a longer shaft on request. I still have my GalleyMaid installed, but my issue is that I can't get power at the windlass. Suspect prev owner may have repurposed the cable/battery for alternate purpose.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Update: I spoke with Rick at Galley Maid. He has been their windlass-guy since the 70s and knows my windlass well. They do not rebuild windlasses from this era, as they started using a different style gear box in the mid 80s.

However, they offer 2 choices:
    1. Brand new replacement windlass - $5700.
    2. New gearbox and shaft - $1750.

Needless to say, I will be taking option number 2 and reusing my motor, relay box, wildcat and capstan.

They offered to refresh my motor with new brushes and update the mounting bracket for no charge if I ship it to them. The only bummer is the replacement carriage bolts are $50 each, $300 altogether. I don't blame Galley Maid. They do not make the bolts and I am sure there is not much demand for 15" chrome plated carriage bolts.

I plan to re-chrome my capstan locally. The rest of the windlass looks fine. Altogether, with shipping, I expect the total damage to be around $2500. I'll be assessing the core damage this weekend. Hopefully it is limited. I'll post periodic updates.
    Last edited by Looking Glass; 02-07-2021 at 11:01 AM.

In case anyone is interested, this was my experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ8__QE25gI

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Salty Lady,Is that you next to Caos? (Or close to?)

Here's an update video for anyone following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UT6OokNrfc

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    Here's an update video for anyone following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UT6OokNrfc
    Thanks for the detailed info and videos. I've been up in my chain locker because of this thread and the underside looks good. All my windlass issues are electrical, and related to the fact that someone previous repurposed the anchor windlass battery and circuit breaker for something else apparently. We're the 3rd owners and the first ones planning to cruise (and anchor) so I am going to probably get an electrician in to resolve the issues we have. I got very lucky that mechanically the windlass is sound, but I had to make a new windlass tool since the old one is long gone. Cheers, Ed. You and Lynn are at the top of the list of people we want to meet in person, we've been following you from the beginning of our boat search and continue now that we're on Pau Hana.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL