Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Help removing wildcat

I saw that someone said that you shouldn’t power the anchor down or the gears will strip or destroy.
    I have a 50+ lb anchor and there is noway that I can hand lower it.

Salty Lady 53MY #555
    Ft Pierce Chester Ct

Quote Originally Posted by Salty lady View Post
    I saw that someone said that you shouldn’t power the anchor down or the gears will strip or destroy.
    I have a 50+ lb anchor and there is noway that I can hand lower it.

Salty Lady 53MY #555
    Ft Pierce Chester Ct
    You put the big wrench on it and loosen the clutch just enough so the wildcat starts slipping. No need to get your fingers in there. When all else fails read the book..... Section 4

http://users.neo.registeredsite.com/...ass_Manuel.pdf
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Watch your air supply!
    It's ok. Lots of space under the cover frame, and these heaters are actually certified for use in tents. They have automatic low O2 shutdowns.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Got a good coat of resin over and into the replaced end grain then ran out of warm weather. I'll finish the job in March.

Attachment 46989
    Why cut so close to the toerail? You didn’t leave yourself much to glass to unless you are going to try to run it up the rail.

It was wet that close. Its also not as close as it appears in the pics. Minimum remaining is over 2"; most is 3 - 4". There's plenty of room to feather in the glass. The smallest area is in the forwardmost portion. That's under the pulpit which is through bolted. It should be very strong.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for the copy of manual for the windless

I may be crazy but I am doing mine from underneath. Its all cut away back to dry core so its to late now. I plan on using 1/4" marine plywood in three layers with two layers of 1208 cloth in between alternating 90 degrees at each layer. All of the non skid on the bow will be painted this year as it is looking tired so if I need to I can run screws in from above to clamp it and just repair those small holes after.

Walt Hoover

Finally got the gypsy off. Now I am off to buy a pipe to bang the collar through. I assume it is the rust colored ring, not the inner brass ring or the outer chrome ring.
    windlass2.jpg

Thats correct. The outer ring is actually part of the casting of the deck plate.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    It was wet that close. Its also not as close as it appears in the pics. Minimum remaining is over 2"; most is 3 - 4". There's plenty of room to feather in the glass. The smallest area is in the forwardmost portion. That's under the pulpit which is through bolted. It should be very strong.
    Right after i posted that I kept looking at the picture and thinking that it was probably wider than it looked. The only part that was close was the starboard side. The reason I mentioned it is because it’s a pain in the ass if you have to go up the toerail. It looks like it will be better than new.