Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help removing wildcat

I am trying to remove my windlass, to repair or replace it. The capstan came right off, as well as the plate that holds the springs. However, the wildcat will not budge. Is there something I am missing? Is that I bushing on the shaft, or is it tapered?

wildcat.jpg

Re: Help removing wildcat

maybe a snap ring? if not soak it with blaster
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I saw a pro wrestle with one for a whole day, after getting guidance from the manufacturer. In the end Mr. Grinder brought an end to his torture, and to the windlass. Have you tried a puller?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Its a keyed shaft for capstan. The wildcat has no snap ring. It should pry up and off. I would lube it and let it sit for a while.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 01-25-2021 at 08:12 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

When i did mine, I removed the motor and (drain the oil) unbolted the gearbox, leaving one bolt on so the gearbox does not fall uncontrolled, return to topside, protect the top of the shaft with a block of wood and drive the shaft down using a large hammer.
    P

Further, google removal of galley maid windlass and it will come up with a few posts on this site. (samsmarine)

Quote Originally Posted by osprey View Post
    When i did mine, I removed the motor and (drain the oil) unbolted the gearbox, leaving one bolt on so the gearbox does not fall uncontrolled, return to topside, protect the top of the shaft with a block of wood and drive the shaft down using a large hammer.
    P
    You need to get the capstan off and the plate below that with the springs on it before you can drive the gearbox out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The wild cat should rotate freely. Large puller, just had to get mine apart, it was frozen to the shaft. Side note, the anchor should be dropped not paid out under power due to how the gear box is constructed. I destroyed my gears and learned the expensive way.

Drive some wooden wedges between the chain gypsy and the lower mounting plate, also try banging the clutch plate (on the chain gypsy) down a few times to break it loose, That should be loose on the shaft if not its probably corroded to the shaft..............Pat

Thank you for all the responses. I was worried about applying too much force, that there might have been a snap ring or something holding it on. Since it seems the gypsy should be free to come off, I plan to use a gear puller, and/or a masonry hammer to bang the hell out of it when I return to the boat this weekend.

I read in other posts where people banged the shaft down through the hull, but it was always after the gypsy was removed, so I was worried about causing damage.

In the mean time, I have it soaking in PB Blaster.

If anyone is interested, I posted Part 1 of removing this windlass to my You tube Channel. I'll post the results this weekend, good or bad, as well.

"Trying Not To Sink"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvB0f9Zs_38