Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steering wheel removal

I need to rebuild the hynautic pump on my 1988 38c. I removed the lines from the pump, I cannot get the center out of the steering wheel to remove the wheel. Any tricks to this?

Re: Steering wheel removal

Pictures will help
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Mine is a big acorn nut. Is yours different? Pic?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I can’t get the plastic center cap off. I removed the little screw on the side. I’m afraid to break it by prying

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    I can’t get the plastic center cap off. I removed the little screw on the side. I’m afraid to break it by prying
    Maybe some heat if you think it’s glued.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I tried to remove the set screw, and couldn’t find a hex key to fit - I concluded it must be metric, so I just took a fine screwdriver and gently pried the cap up. Found that the set screw wasn’t even engaged.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Also, if the wheel hasn’t been off in many years, you may find you need a gear puller, as I did. I soaked it in penetrant overnight first, although I’m not too sure that did anything. There’s a long tube brazed into the hub that engages the pump shaft, and there was corrosion along the entire length. The configuration makes it impossible to get heat where you need it.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Thanks, I’ll bring down the heat gun and on pb blaster, wait until this next cold spell in ny goes away. Wind chill around 11 today

Steering wheel plastic cap broke but wheel successfully off. Anyone know a part number for the plastic center cap

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI