Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Things you don't want to see offshore

A friend melted a turbo bearing on his QSM-11. Quite the show. Blew/burned 7 gallons of oil out the exhaust in about 2 minutes. He was behind us and we couldn't stop as we were passing under a bridged that had opened for us. He was a ways back and we had no idea what was going on. Called CG on the radio. CG did not know what a runaway was (I knew at this time what was happening).

He saved the block but had to change a lot of parts including crank to rebuild. No fire. Just stopped when it ran out of "fuel".
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Pulling the handles to check this weekend. And maybe a few drops of lube on the hinges.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I had a "tiny" runaway on a 692. Started the engines just to warm them up and port RPM's kept going up. Got it shut down and contacted a wrench who diagnosed a "hung" injector. Replaced ( inexpensive) and all was well.
    Actually...used this forum to track down the DD mechanic I used anx when he got into the engine room, he said; " I did the re-build on these engines!"

I experienced our generator running backwards after doing the impellers. Nothing like a ton of soot in your face. It shut down on it's own after about 10 or 15 seconds.
    Regards
    Dan