Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Importance of covered slip?

If you spend any time onboard in the slip, your satellite TV will not be able to receive under the roof. You may also lower the ability of your Over The Air antenna to pickup broadcast TV.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

There have been winter incidents up here where roofs collapsed and took boats down with them, but I don't think in your area that's as likely.
    No likely, but I've seen it first hand. A boat I previously owned was damaged, and others were destroyed. This after the covered slips had survived the blizzard of '93. My guess is, that weakened them, and the next heavy snow did them in.

The bigger threat in this area is that of tornadoes. They wreak havoc on covered slips. Not saying you won't get wind damage in the open, but I would rather take my chances with that vs tons of steel crashing down on my boat.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Fortunately the roof over my head is steel, steel framing and seriously over engineered. It'll be the last thing to go down on the island.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We were in three different boats all under cover for 40 years. Once we moved into Hatteras and moved outside my wife decided we will never go under cover again. A number of things you don’t need,u lights on during the day. It makes you feel like you’re outside. You get the breeze, And to me the boat stays cleaner because of the wind and the lack of spiders and birds. Although The maintenance is a little bit more regarding wax isinglass windows etc. it is still much more inviting to be outside as far as I’m concerned.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

My 1966 Hatteras 41 TC has been under cover on the Upper Chesapeake her entire life. The current paint job is around 30 years old. I own my covered shed slip and wouldn't have it any other way. This location is for storage only. When we come aboard to use the boat, we leave and go somewhere. I can count on my 2 hands the number of nights that I have spent aboard in the covered slip. Last Summer (2020) for the first time, I kept the boat outside at a resort style marina for about 3 months. The wear and tear on the cosmetics from the elements was quite evident.
    Attached Images
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"