Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Importance of covered slip?

In choosing a home slip for a Older Hatteras sportfish would a covered slip be important to you? Cover would provide some protection from rain and elements.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Importance of covered slip?

if you can find one and afford it the covered slip is great. the only 2 problems i had with a covered slip is birds nesting on the beams for the roof, and you wont find any water leaks that the boat may have until you go boating in the rain
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

What Billy said. Birds and spiders are horrible in covered slips, but they definitely provide protection from the sun and rain. that being said, I bet it's never been under a covered slip.

If you plan to go the new paint route, I would go with an open slip until such time you have it repainted. That will give you some extra money to put towards the paint, then you can put it under cover.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

If you spend a lot of time on board, do you want to be in a dark hangar? I wouldn’t.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My boat was covered for the 20 years PO had it, and I have it under cover now. The marina has gone to great lengths to screen the places birds can nest and nuclear warfare has kept the spiders at bay.

Keeping the UV off is unarguably a great help. My paint is original, and although it has patina, the overall appearance is one of graceful aging. Keeping water out of the numerous crevices these older boats have is also quite valuable. You don't park a 42 year old unrestored but great looking car out in the weather. Why one of these classics? Especially when it's in the shape mine is in.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Hatt would go outside where the Hinkley is sitting or in the hole two slips down. She has never been inside and it ain't going to hurt the paint.
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Oh, I forgot... the shade in summer makes keeping it cool a LOT easier.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I've had my boat in both covered and open slips, and the covered ones have been far better- much cooler in the summer, for one thing, and just generally the boat ages much more slowly.

There have been winter incidents up here where roofs collapsed and took boats down with them, but I don't think in your area that's as likely.

There are far fewer covered slips available, now, as some marinas have not maintained the roofs and when they aged, they just removed them. I would love to find a covered slip for my boat, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    There are far fewer covered slips available, now, as some marinas have not maintained the roofs and when they aged, they just removed them. I would love to find a covered slip for my boat, but I don't think it's going to happen.
    It is very hard if not impossible to get permits to build them. You don't want to come to my side of the bridge? There's room on my dock.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    Hatt would go outside where the Hinkley is sitting or in the hole two slips down. She has never been inside and it ain't going to hurt the paint.
    If the covered slip in the photo is the one you're considering, don't waste your money.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93