Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New Owner Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Who said anything about wall switches?
    OP......"what are all the switches on the bulkheads"

Bulkhead is boat speak for wall.........
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Welcome aboard. There are no stupid questions. Where are you located? Maybe we can hook you up with someone that has a Hatt, maybe even a similar model to spend some time with you on board.
    Thanks again everyone. I am in Olympia, WA. Lots of boaters and boaters friends, but .......

I can only assume the OP, as someone new to boating, is referring to the switches at the helm. Light switches in various areas of a boat are pretty much self-explanatory, even to someone who has never been on a boat.
    Lol. Actually, the helm switches are pretty self explanatory (and well labeled). I was referring to numerous toggles that seem to do nothing. Had a friend to help.Greater issue now is locating the water tank and filling it (seen too have run out). Learning will be an experience. I fly Cessnas, so the operation is coming a wee easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Lol. Actually, the helm switches are pretty self explanatory (and well labeled). I was referring to numerous toggles that seem to do nothing. Had a friend to help.Greater issue now is locating the water tank and filling it (seen too have run out). Learning will be an experience. I fly Cessnas, so the operation is coming a wee easier.
    Well, toggles certainly aren't going to be AC, and I assume those too are at the helm. Almost every old boat has switches that do nothing. That's the fun of buying them.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Hatteras can sell you a owners manual as built. For my 1967 31C the wiring diagrams were accurate showed splices just not the locations. Anything after unless well marked need to figure out whats what.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    One last thing, seeing as how I failed to address your water tank issue. That's an easy one. Just uncap every deck fill and sniff. The one that doesn't smell like fuel or poop will be the one.

Seriously, they should be marked, but there is only one water tank on a 48YF.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The water fill is on the Port side, and says WATER.
    If you want to get in touch, send me a PM and we can chat on the phone.
    I have a 75 48YF

Mitch
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

Looks like flymitch found a new friend. Also when you get a chance add a sig line with your boat info like most here.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

One last thing, seeing as how I failed to address your water tank issue. That's an easy one. Just uncap every deck fill and sniff. The one that doesn't smell like fuel or poop will be the one.
    Not necessarily. Just before heading offshore for a three day trip several years ago, one of my crew filled what he believed to be my water tank. Unfortunately, it was my oil change system reservoir fill cap.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Not necessarily. Just before heading offshore for a three day trip several years ago, one of my crew filled what he believed to be my water tank. Unfortunately, it was my oil change system reservoir fill cap.
    That wasn't good, but that's better than putting water on top of your diesel. It's very rare to see fills that aren't marked. Even then, I would think the sniff test would have helped there. If nothing else, it would have made the person question things if there were two fills that didn't have an odor.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93