Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Owner Questions

Have purchased a '74 48' Yachtfish. Is there someplace to acquire a book or something detailing the boat? I need simple things like ; what are all the switches on the bulkheads, and where is the galley propane tank, etc? First - time boater here ; thanks in advance for not making me feel stupid.

Re: New Owner Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Have purchased a '74 48' Yachtfish. Is there someplace to acquire a book or something detailing the boat? I need simple things like ; what are all the switches on the bulkheads, and where is the galley propane tank, etc? First - time boater here ; thanks in advance for not making me feel stupid.
    You can buy a complete set of drawings and electrical schematics from Sam’s. Just call them with your HIN. Be sure you’ve gone over the boat very thoroughly before you do that though, as you may find a set hidden away somewhere a couple of months later..don’t ask how I know.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Also keep in mind the plans from 1974 may not be 100% as to what you find currently. Sometimes tracing the switch wiring isn’t the easiest way but the only true way to see what’s what. When I purchased my boat everything ac/dc was labeled pretty good except for my auto pilots flux compass, I needed to turn on the AP and wait for the error pop up window then turn on any ac or dc breaker til I got a compass reading. It was literally the last switching tried in my ac panel which was wired to my block heater/ eng room outlet. Three seasons in and I still find hot ends taped over in various places.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Thanks everyone. I will start with looking for the books, then think about retracing wiring of nothing better comes along. In actuality, that sounds like something I would rather not think about. Ha.

Welcome aboard. There are no stupid questions. Where are you located? Maybe we can hook you up with someone that has a Hatt, maybe even a similar model to spend some time with you on board.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    That's one heck of an entry level boat, but congrats! I've had occasion to spend a fair amount of time on the 48YF and think it's a fantastic boat.

As has been said, after this much time, God only knows what's been done to the boat since it left the factory. That includes anything related to propane as that was definitely added. Best way to find out what the switches to is to play with them and see what happens. Nothing bad can happen as a result, but if they don't appear to do anything, check behind the panel and make sure they are actually connected and that they have power. Switches will be DC, so no worries of a shocking experience.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Switches will be DC, so no worries of a shocking experience.
    You sure about that? I have 120V wall switches.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    You sure about that? I have 120V wall switches.....
    Who said anything about wall switches?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

FYI - both of my heads have dual switches in the same box for the lights - 1 is DC and 1 is AC

I can only assume the OP, as someone new to boating, is referring to the switches at the helm. Light switches in various areas of a boat are pretty much self-explanatory, even to someone who has never been on a boat.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93