Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Boot Stripe Clam Shells

I'm replacing all of the cracked clam shells along the water line/boot stripe area of our boat. I know the color code/brand for the stripe (black) as delivered. Can I prime and rattle can those shells or is that a waste of time as apposed to using the same paint type as the stripe?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Boot Stripe Clam Shells

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    I'm replacing all of the cracked clam shells along the water line/boot stripe area of our boat. I know the color code/brand for the stripe (black) as delivered. Can I prime and rattle can those shells or is that a waste of time as apposed to using the same paint type as the stripe?
    If it were me I would give Jamestown Distributors a call.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

If it’s in the water for more than a few hours it’s a waste of time. Spray cans are not meant for submerging for any length of time. I’d go with the boot stripe material.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

What would I get from Jamestown? Is that a good source for the paint? I kind of figured the rattle can was a none starter but thought I'd ask.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

What would I get from Jamestown? Is that a good source for the paint? I kind of figured the rattle can was a none starter but thought I'd ask.
    If you stop by FinishMasters, they'll put just about anything in a can. They can match the boot stripe with a marine paint in a can.

There's was semi-retired guy who used to paint yachts in the Ft Myers store here. His expertise saved me thousands over several years. I hope you have the same luck.

http://www.finishmaster.com/locations/

I'd do the imron from finish master. No rattle can. You can probably get the color and have a local shop apply it. Easier than breathing in the fumes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What would I get from Jamestown? Is that a good source for the paint?
    They'll take the time to discuss the project and then they'll send you the stuff. Pretty user friendly place.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Okay I’ll try both places and see which one makes it the easiest. Thank you for the suggestions!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Buy the two part paint that was original. Get a Preval spray can and load it into that. It will be just as simple as buying a rattle can but it will be done right.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I second the Prevail sprayer, but you must be careful to thin the paint properly or the slayer will spit little globs of paint. If thin right they spray a real nice pattern. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.