Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Where have all the FULL SERVICE Yards gone???

Good feedback and insight from all...but this begs the next question, whats the best way to approach a true refit (generator replacement, appliances, countertops, windows serviced, soft goods, headliners, flooring, etc)? Especially, if you don't have the time to become the day-to-day project manager to oversee all of the sub-contractors? Are the 40' - 70' foot boat market days numbered unless you do it yourself?
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Yachts still arrive during Hurricane season for full refits. This outfit keeps billionaire's and their crew happy. One of the largest yacht paint booths on the east coast. Vendors are great. I use the sub contractor's offseason for better rates.
    They can handle anything you ask down to a black car meeting your gulfstream, or a commercial flight.
    https://www.thunderboltmarine.com/

Not cheap, but first class.

They have required all vendors, crew and staff to have negative weekly PCR tests since June to even go on property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKb34OVNBEg

this was cool to see this summer.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Hinckley is nearby, but just skip it.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Good feedback and insight from all...but this begs the next question, whats the best way to approach a true refit (generator replacement, appliances, countertops, windows serviced, soft goods, headliners, flooring, etc)? Especially, if you don't have the time to become the day-to-day project manager to oversee all of the sub-contractors? Are the 40' - 70' foot boat market days numbered unless you do it yourself?
    Don’t you stay in or around Daytona. I had a cracked case on a transmission in Daytona. The yard behind the Charthouse has a good rep but they couldn’t haul me and I don’t think you either. SeaLove could haul me but that place was a mess at the time. It is now under new management and may be OK. I ended up taking my boat to Commachee Cove in St Augustine. Actually replaced both transmissions and the generator. They did a great job. They are not cheap but did very nice work. Also think about moving the boat to Stuart. A number a good yards there. A&B would be one and River Forest has done good by me as well.

Interesting thread.... the biggest local yard in Annapolis is Jabin's, which does mostly sailcraft for the rich folks from D.C., who keep their boats over here. I don't know of any yards locally that could handle a complete refit of a boat such as ours, although there are a number of places that could do parts of it. Jabin's seems to have the basic services provided by the yard itself and everything else done by subcontractors who rent shop space in the yard. Same thing with the two Herrington Harbour yards- in one of their yards, if your boat is in the shop, you actually have to pay the marina AND the shop for the fact that your boat is hauled- even though it's in the shop space, so you are paying twice for the same ground, so to speak.

There used to be some good yards in the Baltimore area- Markley's was one. I think they are still there, but I don't know what services they provide. In decades past, there were a number of yards near Baltimore which built wooden boats, and I think the Owens factory or one of them may have been there.

Two others worth mentioning- I've heard Cambridge Yacht Yard, if I have the name right, can haul big boats and also has a railway for large wooden boats. And the closest thing I know of to a traditional yard where you can get everything done under one roof would probably be Atlantic Yacht Basin, in Great Bridge, VA, on the ICW. It's possible, though, that they would subcontract out engine work, as no one shop would have the tools and expertise to take care of all the different makes of modern electronically controlled marine diesels.

to the OP. I would find an experienced surveyor, and ask for their help in evaluating what you want done, and where in the southeast to get that done.
    I used a surveyor as a Project manager some years ago to manage recoring of my flybridge when I lived 400+ miles from the boat. Got quotes from 5 yards.
    We had unit prices for additional scope, and the project ended smoothly.
    No change orders were begun without the surveyor inspecting first. All work documented before covering it up too.
    I only spent $3k on that service. priceless.

The best value for me ended up being a yard that could put me in a covered barn, but not heated and cooled, with the understanding that schedule was subject to weather/temp/humidity

The climate controlled yard barn was pricey on a daily basis plus the work.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Appreciate the lead on A&J and using a Surveyor as a Project Manager. Continuing to chip away to find an applicable solution.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

A skilled yacht management person would perhaps be the best bet.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

52MY, there are still yards that can be a one stop shop, or close.
    As an example they might handle the enite project except sub out the soft goods, etc.
    Where are you located or do you care where the yard would be located?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Eric's comment is fair on a yacht management person. I did not need that , since I manage development projects for a living. I just used a surveyor as a construction manager/3rd party testing sub. It just depends on what you need or want. I found that the surveyor thought it was fun, and the yard was relieved to not have spend any time on change order justification.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750