Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where have all the FULL SERVICE Yards gone???

What’s going on with the boating industry? Is it me or is getting harder and harder to find a qualified yard to complete routine maintenance on time and within budget. And even harder, if near impossible to find a yard to complete a significant refit/update to a boat. It seems yards wants to cherry pick projects or sub-contract the majority of the work out. What has happened to FULL SERVICE yards???
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Where have all the FULL SERVICE Yards gone???

What area of Fl are you ?
    There are several in the St. Petersburg area.
    Work results do vary depending on which worker they assign to the job.
    Always better to do it yourself if possible !
    Capt. Rob

Condo's wiped out a lot of them.....

Think the biggest problem is getting, and then keeping, staff that knows what they're doing.
    If they're good at X, they often can do better for themselves out on their own, which includes sub contracting for the original employer/boatyard.
    This way the boatyard doesn't have all of the overhead, and issues, of a "full service" staff.

Just the way it is these days......
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

4. Re: Where have all the FULL SERVICE Yards gone???

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    condo's wiped out a lot of them.....

Think the biggest problem is getting, and then keeping, staff that knows what they're doing.
    If they're good at x, they often can do better for themselves out on their own, which includes sub contracting for the original employer/boatyard.
    This way the boatyard doesn't have all of the overhead, and issues, of a "full service" staff.

Just the way it is these days......
    nailed it.

My experience with a full service yard (handled most things in house) was not that great. I don’t mind yards subbing out. Things are so specialized now that you almost have to sub out.

many of the old school family yards are being scooped up by large corp. that do not want the effort to run a service yard just the income from storage and slip rental the yard i worked for was sold to one. in less than 2 years we went from having a waiting list for work and slips to empty slips and slow work flow. i worked there for 20 years and was one of the "new" guys now there are mostly new guys with only 2-3 years experience and the yard manager comes from the insurance business the yard had been a premier marina on the Chesapeake with many years of "best of the bay" awards . we all like to save money,but when we buy supplies from discount houses and not support the yards we help to weaken the the monetary health of the yard you all won't hesitate to ask for help or advice but buy else where instead of supporting the people that worked years to gain the incite you depend on tis is a short answer to a complicated problem so please do not tell me all the ways i am not right DON'T IT ALWAYS GO THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT TILL IT'S GONE?........sorry for the rant,,,i worked in the marine business for almost 57 years but only had a job for the last two.i miss it .

Quote Originally Posted by boatwright View Post
    many of the old school family yards are being scooped up by large corp. that do not want the effort to run a service yard just the income from storage and slip rental the yard i worked for was sold to one. in less than 2 years we went from having a waiting list for work and slips to empty slips and slow work flow. i worked there for 20 years and was one of the "new" guys now there are mostly new guys with only 2-3 years experience and the yard manager comes from the insurance business the yard had been a premier marina on the Chesapeake with many years of "best of the bay" awards . we all like to save money,but when we buy supplies from discount houses and not support the yards we help to weaken the the monetary health of the yard you all won't hesitate to ask for help or advice but buy else where instead of supporting the people that worked years to gain the incite you depend on tis is a short answer to a complicated problem so please do not tell me all the ways i am not right DON'T IT ALWAYS GO THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT TILL IT'S GONE?........sorry for the rant,,,i worked in the marine business for almost 57 years but only had a job for the last two.i miss it .
    Yes, the Chesapeake is an interesting study in "Consolidation". There are still a few good stories that I am aware of in my part of the world. Haven Harbor North/South are excellent operations. Worton Creek Marina is booked solid. I am sure there's a few others.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

8. Re: Where have all the FULL SERVICE Yards gone???

I had been a winter storage customer of a local family marina here in Connecticut for 18 years. They did a great business both Summer and Winter. Then Brewer came along a bought them up. At first, things seemed to improve (at least cosmetically). Shortly after that though, the downhill turn in customer service became obvious.

About 2 years ago, Safe Harbor scooped up all the local Brewer yards, and customer service was taken to a new low.

I haven't stored with them for several years now. Last weekend I took a ride through the yard just to look around. In years past, there were so many boats you could barely find a place to park you car. Now I would guess they are at least 50 boats shy of full capacity. I'm not the only one who grew tired of poor service.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

There are a few here in Miami. Personally I prefer using contractors that I ve know for years to do some of the work. Better control on costs but also i know them, know they will come to the boat to follow up if needed etc.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Shelter Island Boatyard in San Diego is considered by many as the best work yard in the country. They have always used sub contractors for the work, most of whom have their offices right in the yard and don’t stay there unless there work is good. Wait times for haul outs and work can get as long as 5 months and being in So Cal they operate all year. Boats come down from all over the state to haul there. However I just heard they were sold recently so I hope nothing changes with new owners. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.