Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Passing Another Yacht

What is the proper technique in passing another boat? Something big and slow like ours. I radioed and gave my intention to pass on their starboard and the captain replied back that was ok and he would slow down for a slow pass, and then I passed. The part that I probably need help on is that last part. Do I go just fast enough to pass? Or as soon as my bow is past theirs, speed up to limit side-by-side time?

Also, I noticed that when I turn into my channel to my marina (the entrance is about 1/2 mile from shore) and I am going too fast, it creates waves traveling directly at the shore that make it all the way to the shore with considerable size compared to your normal wake that breaks at a 45 deg angle with the shore. Answer to that is probably to slow down before turning.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Passing Another Yacht

I like you request permission to pass over the radio. I let them know that I am going to speed up until I reach their stern area and then slow down just enough to pass them at a very slow speed but just enough to get past them. Once my transom is past their bow I will go ahead and speed up slowly so it doesn’t create a massive wake for them to maneuver through. I think that’s the courteous and professional way to do it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California