Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1961 41 Hull # 24 restoration

Hey guys and gals. I’m somewhat new here. I’ve posted a few photos but figured I’d start an “official restoration thread”Wife and I purchased this 41 back in October. She was on the hard in Long Island for a few years prior to me stumbling upon her. She had been sold and the owner had passed away. So the marina took ownership. They did a rear cockpit sole and that was about it. The boat was run from Long Island and headed to Massachusetts, but lost starboard transmission. So I left it at a marina, came home to NH and got another transmission. Went down a few days later and replaced it. We then ran again and made it as far as RI and ended up clogging filters after filters. Hung it up at point Judith marina. Had it hauled out, removed bridge and trucked it home. It was quite the experience, hurt the ego and wallet!Since it’s arrival, I started to cut and tear. The trunk cabin windows leaked and ruined the head and bulkhead in the galley. When I first saw the boat my foot fell through the galley floor as I came down the stairs. We ended up making the head larger as I removed most of the useless storage closet behind the toilet. As also made the galley much larger. I’ll start uploading photos from before, transportation, and current day. I’ll keep them going as the project continues. Here are photos of when I first went to view.

Re: 1961 41 Hull # 24 restoration

More before shots

Upon arrival and start to disassemble..The water leak ruined the bulkhead at the steps that enter the galley. While I had the starboard wall removed from the dashboard/companionway I loved how bright it was. So we cut it open.

Once the galley was fully removed, we did all new floor joists, then plywood and glassed over it. Once we got the subfloor down, we started to lay out the head. We were able to push the toilet back nearly a foot. Ran all new hoses. Opened up the shower stall also, and of course made the step so my wife can shave her legs *rolls eyes*

We then went with Teak and holly veneer plywood. And started the galley lay out. TheFun was starting. We removed the dish organizer that was above the counter tops, it opened up so much space. And of course all new appliances. And under the counter isotherm fridge.

Now starting to trim everything, and plumb. Also cutting every wire out of the boat next week and starting from scratch. It’s been wired by every owner it’s had. Wires lead to nowhere.

Ended up putting the panel in the face of the cabinet, may be a mistake, time will tell. Plan was to put house batteries behind the panel. Worst case, I push the panel back a few inches and put a plexi door over it to stop people from hitting switches. That being said, the stairs will be a tad longer and also wider, so I believe it’ll be fine. Most of this work was within the past two weeks. So got a little burnt out with creativeness.
    Attached Images

Nice, you've got some work ahead of you, but those are beautiful boats. There's another guy on here occasionally Tim) that's got a 41 in NBPT. I'm in NH also, where are you?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    Nice, you've got some work ahead of you, but those are beautiful boats. There's another guy on here occasionally Tim) that's got a 41 in NBPT. I'm in NH also, where are you?Joe
    I’m in Newburyport also. Mine is a trunk cabin boat. Only know of two around. Ones in newbury. Other in Haverhill. And yes, tons of work ahead. But it’s come very far in two weeks time.

Love the lines on those trunk cabins. You'll have a real looker when your done.