Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Questionable Salvage On 58TC

Also, if the tower was Towboat US and (I assume) the owner of the grounded vessel is a member of Towboat US, where does the element of fraud enter the picture, in your view?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Also, if the tower was Towboat US and (I assume) the owner of the grounded vessel is a member of Towboat US, where does the element of fraud enter the picture, in your view?
    Again?

Bottom line is, my views are the result of this Captain characterizing this as a salvage, his words with justification for such in print. You'll see I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt in the beginning and truly thought it was just an improper use of the term.

This was not a salvage situation, period. Nothing but sand at that entrance, and the guy even mentioned the other guys did the work while he steered the bow off the bottom.

ALL that being said, the only legitimate scenario I can come up with is, the owner didn't want to wait for the tide to fix his boo boo and was willing to pay for the bag job. Even with that, why did they continue to tow the boat once it was free?

Is that the way things go when a softly grounded boat is considered as having been salvaged, and the tow company takes it back to their dock until such time they are paid for such?

I would be very interested to hear the owner's story on this one. Maybe one the broker types on here can track the name and find out who owns it. That's not as simple as it used to be. Cabbage Key did respond to my request and said they had no idea who owned the boat. Still waiting to hear from Clearwater Municipal.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Yes, it's pretty common to tow a vessel that may have had the majority of its bottom in the sand. At least far or long enough to give the crew a chance to check all of their strainers for sand and debris (they went aground under power and with how many systems running).

It's also pretty common for the grounded vessel to damage their running gear trying to free the vessel on their own. Which may result in a tow.

I can tell you with absolutely authority that it takes way more than a soft grounding to cause any issues with the running gear on a 58TC. Am I correct that a claim of salvage would result in the towing of the vessel with no recourse on the part of the Hatt owner?

I assume that would be like a repo guy allowing you to follow him to the impound lot.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Am I correct that a claim of salvage would result in the towing of the vessel with no recourse on the part of the Hatt owner?
    No. The argument here is that what is represented as a tow is later billed as salvage. The owner agrees to (or at least think he does) a tow and then.... surprise.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay