Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Questionable Salvage On 58TC

I mentioned this boat in a bumped thread and assumed when the term, salvage, was used, it was in error. It obviously wasn't.

A TowBoat US Captain posted photos and information and photos on Facebook of, Empty Pockets, which ran aground at the entrance to Cabbage Key. The boat was sitting in less than four feet of water, as evidenced by these "divers" standing waist-deep on the bottom, and the boat wasn't even listing. It is obvious the owner and crew were still on the boat. I questioned this situation, and the Captain said...

Salvage also comes into play when specialized equipment such as pumps, air bags, or divers are called for - even if the boat is at he dock. This specific vessel was hard aground and required airbags and divers.

He then went on to say...

Hard aground vessels under specific conditions in our region during winter low tides that persist for weeks at a time require floating a vessel to ensure no damage is caused to the members vessel.

Photos were posted of the vessel being towed to, someplace where the real fun will begin. This involved TowBoat US Charlotte Harbor. He stopped replying when I asked, "And how long between the grounding and your salvage determination and subsequent removal?"

Things that make you go... hmmmm.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Questionable Salvage On 58TC

Does this look like a salvage scenario to you?
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The post was just deleted. This is insurance fraud, plain and simple. Does anyone know who the current owner is?

I have screenshots of the photos and descriptions.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I saw the whole series of pic on FB earlier and don’t understand what the problem was. Looked like the bow was up on some shallows but the boat was level and slightly low at the stern confirming a bow aground scenario. Launch the whaler and it may have almost floated out.. or pull with the whaler.

Winter low tides??? That s a new one. Actually looking at current water levels in the area, tides are running higher than predicted ...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The Facebook post was dated January 3. I'll bet Cabbage Key has the information on that boat. If not, Clearwater Municipal will. This kind of thing is inexcusable.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Hold on, Bullwinkle!! ( Joking, joking) but...

Though I agree that the photos don't appear to support salvage, one should be VERY careful in making an allegation of criminal conduct; ie, "insurance fraud".

Well, Dudley, how about you explaining how this was a salvage situation?

If it wasn’t, that would constitute fraud, right?

No pumps running, the crew of the endangered vessel weren’t even wearing life jackets, the “divers” were in waist-deep water, and the boat wasn’t even listing. Add to that the post was deleted when someone else pointed this out as padding the insurance bill, and there you go.

This is just a PSA for my fellow Hatteras owners... who live in the USA. (Joking, joking)
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Good looking 58TC. The joke may be on the salvage company. Salvage is a percentage of value, right? These old boats look like they should be worth much more than they really are. So.......the value they receive for the "tow", might be less than they thought they were gonna get.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have personally witnessed the Towboat US scam. Friend of mine got stuck under a fixed bridge in a rather lively current. But it was a heavy fiberglass motor sailor, he staid straight up and eventually the current would have reversed and he would have floated out. Towboat US came out in a RIB, put a line on him and pulled him away. Nothing was discussed. The damage was minimal.

They filed a $7000 salvage claim citing "imminent peril". (The boat is worth ten times that or more). The insurance paid. When my friend asked his insurance adjuster why they didn't fight it he said that $7000 wasn't worth sending the lawyer(s) in. If it would have been $50,000 he would have done it. Said it happened all the time. It's a racket. They know just how much to file for and not have to go to court to defend their claim.

Should I ever end up in this situation I will make sure I have the operator on video acknowledging that I was NOT agreeing to salvage.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-18-2021 at 12:46 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

It looks as though they made it into Cabbage Key for lunch. The FB page for Cabbage has a photo of the boat docked?
    Regards
    Dan