Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Halifax Harbor Marina

We are on a short cruise vacation, and just wanted to give a shout out to Hilifax Harbor Marina (Daytona) Well protected, floating docks, super nice helpers. Last time we came through this way we stayed at new Smyrna, which was ok for a night, but this one is good for short or long stay.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Halifax Harbor Marina

Glad to hear you had a good stay at HHM. Its been our home base over the last decade. Straight shot to the Abacos out of Ponce Inlet. NSB is a sleepy beach town community but they do not have have anything like HHM. Another great place for a stay is Hammock Beach Marina in Palm Coast. As part of the Marina, they also have a beach resort w/an unbelievable amount of amenities.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

How difficult a trip is it straight to the Abacos from Daytona Beach?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

With a good weather window, it is an easy trip. From Ponce Inlet to Powell Cay Channel (between Spanish and Powell Cay) its two waypoints, approx 250 NM. The hardest part is getting across the gulf stream. Coming back is faster as you pick up speed from the stream.

The alternative is Ponce -> Ft Pierce -> on the Bank at Mantanilla Shoal -> Little Sale -> Spanish/GTC

Have done both many times, both have their pros/cons.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

I have not run Ponce inlet. Is it fairly straightforward if you come the new Smyrna way? Thanks

Yes, straight forward. Keep it between the buoys and you’ll be fine. Coming around the north side (Daytona) of disappearing island to the inlet is not advisable without local knowledge. Any questions, reach out to SeaTow or TowBoat they are always glad to advise on any current problematic areas or shoaling.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Yes, straight forward. Keep it between the buoys and you’ll be fine. Coming around the north side (Daytona) of disappearing island to the inlet is not advisable without local knowledge. Any questions, reach out to SeaTow or TowBoat they are always glad to advise on any current problematic areas or shoaling.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Good points. I ran that area in ‘15. Was unsure about some spots and radioed Sea Tow. They met me inside the jetties and led the way through.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Wow. That's cool!
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL