Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Wiring isolation transformers

I would caveat that with "all of the standards", at least with respect to electricity. In other words you really need to understand the whole system and the standards applying to each piece.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I'm adding isolation transformers this winter as part of a total re-do of the electrical on my 1966 41 TC. My personal participation in the project is mostly limited to scratching the check to the contractor. I do have a pdf diagram that describes the wiring. Its too large to upload here. If you PM your e-mail address I'll send it. It may be of some help to you.
    Where are they going?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Who makes isolation transformers, now? I had the impression Charles was out of that market, but perhaps my memory is mistaken.

Defender still has some Charles units in stock.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Defender still has some Charles units in stock.
    Good deals, only seeing 30A units though.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    Where are they going?
    There is space behind the bulkhead stbd side aft (behind the small sofa) which is adjacent to the shore power inlet. The units I'm using are being sourced from Bridgeport Magnetics.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Who makes isolation transformers, now? I had the impression Charles was out of that market, but perhaps my memory is mistaken.
    Any "normal" AC transformer is an isolation transformer. They don't need to be special "marine" units. I think I got an ACME transformer for my boat (NOS off ebay, has lots of taps for voltage adjustments).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Any "normal" AC transformer is an isolation transformer. They don't need to be special "marine" units. I think I got an ACME transformer for my boat (NOS off ebay, has lots of taps for voltage adjustments).
    But does your average transformer have an electrostatic shield between the coils to use as a ground?

11.9.1.1. A metallic shield shall be located between the primary and secondary winding and be electrically insulated from all other portions of the transformer.
    It shall be designed to withstand, without breakdown, a high potential test of 4000 volts AC, 60Hz, for one minute, applied between the shield and all other components such as windings, core, and outside enclosure.

11.9.1.2. A separate insulated wire lead or terminal identified as the shield connection is to be solidly connected only to the shield, and brought out for external connection
    and shall be equal to or greater than the aggregate circular mil area of the largest transformer phase conductor(s).

11.9.1.3. The shield and its connection are to be of sufficient ampacity to provide a sustained fault current path for either the primary or secondary windings to ensure operation of the main shore power disconnect circuit breaker when subjected to a fault current level in accordance with ABYC TABLE V - B.

Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

The Charles Marine units seem to cost roughly the same as Victron units I found for sale on line. And Charles is out of the transformer business; the units at Defender are closeouts. I think I'd buy Victron, in that instance. The ones from Bridgeport Magnetics are smaller and more compact. The prices of these seem to be coming down, good news esp if you have two incoming shore lines of 30A each, as I do, so I would need two transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    But does your average transformer have an electrostatic shield between the coils to use as a ground?
    Yes, I believe so. See this: https://electrical-engineering-porta...on-transformer

"Marine isolation" transformers are not anything specials. The "isolation" transformers that I've seen on a few hatts are just off the shelf step up/down dry type transformers that you would find in any commercial building. They were off the shelf units. Ask a few people to post up pics of the data plate on their Hatt transformers.

Boat people always want to think boats are special, and thus require special laws of physics, haha.

Another nerd link: https://canadatransformers.com/what-...static-shield/
    Last edited by krush; 01-23-2021 at 09:43 AM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381