Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel removal

Wheel removal

Need to replace shaft seal in leaking helm pump (H21S), and stalled almost immediately trying to remove the wheel to drop the pump. The key moved freely, and the wheel moved about 3/16” on the shaft, but now won’t budge. Thought I would check here that I haven’t missed some secret pin or set screw before I go get a bigger persuader. TIA
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: Wheel removal

Put a little lubricant on the shaft and let it sit for a bit. You’ve done everything correct so far.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

However, make sure that somebody is holding the pump from underneath when you finally take off the wheel, because it could drop like a rock.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    However, make sure that somebody is holding the pump from underneath when you finally take off the wheel, because it could drop like a rock.
    Thanks - I’ve got the pump strung up with zip ties. Hopefully by tomorrow the penetrant will have done its thing.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I had to use a puller the first time I took mine off, 9 or 10 years ago. Did it again last year and it slid right off no problem. '79 43C.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Yep, puller would be my next move.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thanks, 6” gear puller did it, but not without a fight...on to pump disassembly.

Before you use a steel puller and possible scar or scratch the wheel, why don’t you use a heat gun on the wheel hub and see if the opens it up enough to slip off?

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    Before you use a steel puller and possible scar or scratch the wheel, why don’t you use a heat gun on the wheel hub and see if the opens it up enough to slip off?
    Used both heat gun and penetrant extensively, neither touched it. Configuration of the wheel makes it impossible to get the heat to where you really need it with the wheel installed.

Replaced rod seal and wiper on pump using a -214 quad seal for the rod seal, and a stack of .040 thick urethane backup rings for the wiper - $4.20 at Hydraulic Supply instead of $40 seal kit. Reinstalled, bled by cracking the fittings on the lines a couple of times; spun wheel both directions, tightened up after 8 lock to lock turns, kept spinning, eventually got down to 4 3/4 turns lock to lock. Interestingly, the wheel was 6 turns lock to lock before. The only thing I can think of is I somehow got the piston block deeper into the housing, increasing the engagement between the pistons and the balls, thus pumping more fluid with each wheel turn. I’m not sure which cylinder I have (not marked), but 4 3/4 turns doesn’t exactly match anything on the chart. I guess as long as it works reliably and I stopped the leak I’m happy.