Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northern Lights with Outback // Anyone have this setup? ++ Onan to NL Muffler

Does anyone have a 9, 12, 15K Northern Lights that pass through an Outback Inverter?
    How clean is the frequency on the NL? Will the Outback charge from it or allow pass through?

Does anyone have issues with frequency on their outback? Or does anyone not have issues, if so, what generator.

I have some issue with generator based shore power in the islands. It just doesn't like frequency that jumps between 55-70. Shocking

Also for those who have installed an Northern Light. How similar is the water plumbing and muffler install / conversion?

Thank you for all who are able to share!
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Re: Northern Lights with Outback // Anyone have this setup? ++ Onan to NL Muffler

I thought the outbacks could only handle 30 amps passthrough. Also, unless you stack them, I don't think they can do 240v.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Northern Lights with Outback // Anyone have this setup? ++ Onan to NL Muffler

I have 2 outbacks. Not stacked but slaved with each one feeding 1 leg of 120.
    60amps on the transfer switch, 30 on invert. So basically 30 amp 240 on invert. 7,600 watts 120. My only 220 is the dryer.

But crew! I’m interested in Northern Light advice. How is the frequency of the northern lights?
    we don’t need another outback thread.

how is the Onan - Northern Lights install?
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

How about a “how to live on 30 amps thread”? Just kidding
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Not sure what you meant about issues on generator shorepower in the islands. Are you talking about the shorepower found at some marinas in the Bahamas coming out of local generators?

If so, i ve never found frequency to be a real problem, usually it s low voltage like at Compass or Staniel. Never had issues with frequency and never got any frequency alarms. The one thing on board which I ve found to be sensitive to lousy shorepower is the convection/microwave oven.

I used to run a boat with a pair of 20KW NL and frequency was always stable. NL are probably the best gens money can buy. The boat i run these days has a pair of 27.5 Ohnos and frequency is also very stable. I don’t think I ve seen anything below 59hz.

Not familiar with outbacks but usually modern inverters and chargers Adapt to frequency changes on the input side.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Another vote for NL sets, best out there.

There's another brand, also built out West, which I can never recall the name of, which is also supposed to be very good. They have dealers here, but I am blanking on the name.

I hope they work together nicely...I just spent a lot of boat bucks on a Northern Lights 20kw being installed next week, and it’s going to need to play nice with my Outback 3232.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Let me know how it go's!
    I am assuming you know the NL boat show pricing runs through next week.

Let me know what yard you are using to replace. PM?
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Pascal, I was up at HB. They have 4 big generators running and are installing a new solar field and controller that should clean things up by now (or soon).

Plugged in. Heidi when nuts with power, firing up the washer dryer, Hot water, dishwasher and everything short of the AC.

Dock was putting out 240-244V, Frequency jumping between 55-70 Hz.
    The kind of Frequency jumps that blow up modern things. Silly modern things like coffee makers.

The Inverters wouldn't pass it through (OK rejected 98% of it) and by the time I got done checking in, the battery where drained.

I got 5 stories. One, they used to have problems but just installed a new solar controller. Oh, the new system not done being installed and they will be back next week. Got a not enough yacht pulling power so it doesn't have the right load. Got a we never have an issue, got an always have issues on new systems and European systems not liking the power. And, the boat next to me was running the Generator. And the next week ran into a EU cat that ran into a power issue, blew some switches and fried some electronics there.

That said. I also know that some outback inverters models don't like dirty power from some generators because it will not lock on to the frequency. When that happens it will not charge, but I was expecting to pass it through. It did not.

That said--- more NL install experiences?
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

I m not a big fan of Highborne and we rarely go there. It s a nice marina with a couple of ok beaches but nothing as good as other anchorages. That said the few times we went power was clean.

I ve had voltage issues at compass, sometimes as low as 205v. This trip is was better.

You should have any issues with the NL. Don’t worry... Not to reopen the acceptable minimum load debate but having a larger gen means you ll have a reserve and power will be cleaner under load especially when a big compressor kicks in
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat