Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Fly bridge support.

Would it be very expensive to have larger supports made ?

I have seen these factory supports on 1979 and 1980 motor yachts. I’ve not seen them prior to 79 or after 1980. I believe they were installed to support a much heavier dinghy.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I have seen these factory supports on 1979 and 1980 motor yachts. I’ve not seen them prior to 79 or after 1980. I believe they were installed to support a much heavier dinghy.

Are you sure that's a factory install? I doubt it. With the radius on those pipes, they wouldn't support much without bending further. It sure doesn't look like any type of engineer was involved in making those.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Would it be very expensive to have larger supports made ?
    Mines are just a 2” alum tube with a flange at each end. Can’t be expensive. I like how the whole stern is open
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Sky said what I was thinking. That isn’t quite the way i would make them if I was trying to add support.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I have numerous friends in Northern and Southern California with Hatteras’s is that have exactly the same pipes the same ends the same connections as mine. I don’t know how that would happen since the boats are in completely different areas and have come from the East Coast to West Coast. If you doubt that this is true contact Hatteras and find out. All I know is I have and numerous others have great extra support for my dinghy on the top.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have numerous friends in Northern and Southern California with Hatteras’s is that have exactly the same pipes the same ends the same connections as mine. I don’t know how that would happen since the boats are in completely different areas and have come from the East Coast to West Coast. If you doubt that this is true contact Hatteras and find out. All I know is I have and numerous others have great extra support for my dinghy on the top.
    I've never seen that but I don't care enough to call. Just an observation. How much weight do you think a curved tube can hold?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I was told Hatteras added those when they put a 13 foot Boston Wailer up there. It was meant to support that extra weight. I’m only going off what I was told from Hatteras and the fact I’ve seen these 3” poles on numerous 53’s. Who knows?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I wonder if my side two pole setup was a custom job... what do others have on early boats?
    Yours are from the factory. They changed to the four poles when they updated the hardtop around 71-72.

I was told Hatteras added those when they put a 13 foot Boston Wailer up there. It was meant to support that extra weight. I’m only going off what I was told from Hatteras and the fact I’ve seen these 3” poles on numerous 53’s. Who knows?
    I believe this is correct. I think anytime a 13’ Whaler was put up there, either by the factory or aftermarket, they had to add them. I don’t think they had to add them when an 11' was used.