Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fly bridge support.

There are a lot of things I like, but a few serious things I don't like about my back deck enclosure. It's aluminum framing with sliders on the side, fixed plexiglass corners and back panels, with a center door to get to the swim ladder.

1 Aluminum framing is blistering. It was painted not long ago and keeping that issue at bay is very tough.
    2 I can open up about 1/4 of the enclosure. (2 side slides, and the back door)
    3 This makes line handling difficult and cleaning the outside impossible.

I am planning on replacing it all with a product called "cool2sea". http://www.4u2sea.com/
    I am friends with the inventor, have seen several installations and there's a licensed installer at the end of my dock. (A boat next to me has a 20 year old fly bridge enclosure that looks brand new. OK, he's under roof, and takes care of it, but still)

Here's the issue. The aluminum framing provides the support for the upper deck. I will have to put something else in. 2 ss poles is one solution I'm aware of, or several ss tubes that run at an angle down and then bend vertical to go down to the deck.

Could a few of you with open back decks (with or without canvas) please post some pictures of the support system they have? Thank you.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Fly bridge support.

The type of support had changed over the years. I ve seen 53s (mid to late 70s) with 3 SS tunes, maybe 1” diameter, from the edge of the FB to the rail along the stern.

Mine has two alum poles, 2 or 2 1/2” on each side. They’re close to the side edge of the FB and about 9” for the rear edge. I like it better has it leaves the rear complexly unobstructed

Indeed windows and panels can make stern like handling difficult. Some boats also have a very small opening at the corner making it hard to pass lines thru. Mine has larger opening which make it real easy
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I mounted my stern cleats, that I got from Sam’s, on the rail aft instead of on the aft deck. That rail is crazy strong and thick. I through bolted them. Then we take the stern line up to the aft midship cleat and tie it off while underway, that way I don’t have to deal with the aft deck sliding windows. JohnE14AD899-EBD6-44C4-B6AA-6561D09F3156.jpg
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Best pictures I've got.

4175502L sm.jpg4175498L.jpg
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Mine is just like oldaxer. 4 x ss poles from the aft floor to the aft ceiling. That is pretty much the standard design for this vintage. You see it in the brochures as well.

https://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochures/53MY/53MYB-0286.pdf

The older 53's only had 2 ...

https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...53MYB-0069.pdf
    Last edited by Photolomy; 01-15-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I wonder if my side two pole setup was a custom job... what do others have on early boats?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Very interesting. Thank you all for your input. It appears that Hatteras never intended a cocktail party with 8 people on the upper deck in these brochures. That said, my weather boards/rail go all the way back up there and it appears original.

Pascal follow the second link in Photolomy's post above. It shows two poles on an older boat. Note how they are angled to match the side walls......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

There is actually seating for 8 on the upper deck. 4 up front, 2 helm seats, and 2 on the bench behind those. Then there is the dinghy and a couple people back there handling it. Thus, it handles 10 people plus a dinghy well. Note that most of that is no more than a couple of feet past the salon, so it doesn't put a lot of force on the 4 SS poles. Even with the dinghy and 2 handlers, only half of that (maybe a little more) is on the SS poles. Within those numbers, I have never felt that we were stressing the upper deck.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 01-15-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Also, don't underestimate those SS poles. They are pretty strong and mounted well. I have bumped into them before, while handling lines or putting up the eisenglass. They hurt. Naturally, I don't bump into them anymore.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Here are mines. I moved them a couple of inches when added a layer of Coosa and glass to reinforce the spongy aft deck
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat