Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New cutlass bearing recommendations ?

Hi guys :-)

I have to replace my cutlass bearings and I'm looking for recommendations on brand/quality/durability. Any good or bad I should know? I was tending toward Johnson Duramax bearings...
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Re: New cutlass bearing recommendations ?

Duramax seems to be the main game in town. Back in march 2020 https://www.propellerdepot.com was the best price I found.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I am looking to do my cutlass bearings.On my 1990 54ED. i have a 10.5" forward strut and a 16" aft strut. With a 2.5" shaft I see that the longest bearings are 10" long. Am I correct to assume that you have to put the bearings in line and cut the second bearing down to 6"?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by svaron View Post
    I am looking to do my cutlass bearings.On my 1990 54ED. i have a 10.5" forward strut and a 16" aft strut. With a 2.5" shaft I see that the longest bearings are 10" long. Am I correct to assume that you have to put the bearings in line and cut the second bearing down to 6"?

Thanks,
    Or cut two to 8" each. I guess it depend on where the set screws are located.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by svaron View Post

Thanks,
    Give them a call, they can custom make you a bearing and it may not be that much more expensive?!?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

You are heading toward direction

I also prefer Duramax bearings

Thank you...

Any clue as to whether the OD is 3" or 3 1/8" diameter? I checked with Sam's who checked with the foundry and they had no record of that data. I will check with Propeller depot to see if they can custom make the exact size. If not I guess I will put (2) 8" pieces together on the larger strut.