Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PSS Shaft Seals for my 54ED

I know that this has been discussed quite frequently in the past. That being said, does anyone have any recent experience upgrading the traditional stuffing boxes with the PSS Dripless system. I am refurbishing my original stuffing boxes and replacing cutlass bearings in the spring and thought that I might upgrade to the PSS system at that time.

I have a 1990 54 ED with 892 TA's

Thanks for your guidance and suggestions

Re: PSS Shaft Seals for my 54ED

I've had PSS for the last 16 years. No problems, but I never really had any issues with the traditional packing either other than an adjustment every so often.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mine has had PSS since 2012 when the PO rebuilt the engines. No issues.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I've had PSS for the last 16 years. No problems, but I never really had any issues with the traditional packing either other than an adjustment every so often.
    Have you replaced the bellows as part of maintenance? Did you do it yourself?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Make sure the clamps are maintained. MAKE SURE THE CLAMPS ARE MAINTAINED! It is ugly when they fail. Trust me.....

Quote Originally Posted by oldawg View Post
    Make sure the clamps are maintained. MAKE SURE THE CLAMPS ARE MAINTAINED! It is ugly when they fail. Trust me.....
    That's good advice. Aboard Aslan, I pull the clamps annually and inspect. I also spray them with Boe-Shield and clean the bellows before reinstalling. I freshwater spray the area every time I clean the adjacent generator sea strainer. There are also clamps on the cooling lines that need attention. Don't forget, like I did in the pic, to double clamp those too. Since taking this shot, I've also begun indexing all double clamps 180 degrees apart. It's easy to over tighten which has a bad effect on the bellows.
    IMG_0137.jpg
    PSS is good stuff. Still, it's advisable to get a couple of extra seals in carriers for each shaft. In six years, I've not changed any seals, but I'm ready just in case.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I suspect that you have to haul the boat out to clean the bellows? Also, what is involved when replacing the bellows as the manufacturer suggests? Actually, how do you clean the bellows? Remove them completely (doesn't that require detaching the shaft from the transmission)?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I suspect that you have to haul the boat out to clean the bellows? Also, what is involved when replacing the bellows as the manufacturer suggests? Actually, how do you clean the bellows? Remove them completely (doesn't that require detaching the shaft from the transmission)?
    A haul-out is required to replace the bellows. I don't know anything about cleaning other than what's inside the boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

PSS has the carbon/stainless seal. Tidesmarine has the replaceable lip seals that can be kept in an installed carrier.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    A haul-out is required to replace the bellows. I don't know anything about cleaning other than what's inside the boat.
    Sorry, I misunderstood, you meant clean the outside of the bellows, under the clamps. And I guess you take one clamp off at a time, clean/inspect it, and put it back.

This thread got my attention because my PSS is 8 years old and I think it is time to replace the bellows.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL