Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Siren Marine

Siren Marine

I have been looking at the Siren Marine monitoring system for my boat. The literature states that the Pro 3 system will work with voltages between 12V to 38V. At the last minute I decided to check with the company to make sure the wireless transmitters would work with 32V bilge pumps. They responded that the transmitters work with 12V or 24Vs only. My main interest in this set-up was to monitor the bilges and the shore power connection. Does anyone know of a work around for this problem or another system that will work with the 32V system??
    My boat is a 1984 55C Hatteras
    Americana
    Thanks
    Guy

Re: Siren Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Walters View Post
    I have been looking at the Siren Marine monitoring system for my boat. The literature states that the Pro 3 system will work with voltages between 12V to 38V. At the last minute I decided to check with the company to make sure the wireless transmitters would work with 32V bilge pumps. They responded that the transmitters work with 12V or 24Vs only. My main interest in this set-up was to monitor the bilges and the shore power connection. Does anyone know of a work around for this problem or another system that will work with the 32V system??
    My boat is a 1984 55C Hatteras
    Americana
    Thanks
    Guy
    You can use a voltage divider made up of a couple resistors. The resistors will be high ohm and draw almost no current, and no current at all while the bilge pumps are off. I am surprised Siren didn't walk you through that. In effect, the voltage across one of the resistors will be 24v (or 12v, depends on how you set it up) and that is where you will attach the Siren sensor.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Is your 12 point system bad? My bilge monitoring on mine wasn't working but everything else was. I can't remember what wire I changed in the monitor panel but I basically used the float system in the bilges but ran it to independent horns both under the stairs to the stateroom (so it would wake me if asleep) and in the cockpit. I used a 32 volt relay that powers the horns if one of the float switches is activated. I think I spent $50 or so and can hear the alarm if something happens when I am in bed.

The Hatt system is all just normally closed switches. You can use any voltage and create your own alarms with just a relay for each alarm. Once the continuity through the switch(es) is lost, the alarm is triggered.

It won't tell you if your bilge pump is activated, but it will tell you that there is high water, or fire, or loss of AC power, or whatever other circuit/function that you wire up like that.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 01-12-2021 at 09:19 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I know you didn’t ask but FWIW, I just put the siren system in- super simple, works great. I am monitoring batteries, bilge pumps, high water, temps, position, and shore power. The wireless sensors also send their own internal temps so you can see what’s happening in that respect wherever you have a sensor. Only thing it doesn’t do is allow video cameras. Still noodling that- advice gratefully accepted
    Bill Allison
    Hatt 1988 60MY Grateful.
    Wilson Lake, Killen AL

Prev post mentioned that Siren didn't allow for video. I think there's a couple out there that do. Anyone have any experience with BRNKL? Or NautiMarine? I met Nauti rep at Ft Myers boat show, and I liked the price of their system for basic setup.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL