Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stanchion Backing Plates?

Can anyone tell me if the 1973 38' FBDC has a backing plate for the stanchion bolts, or are there nuts that I must hold in order to remove them ... certainly hope not!

Re: Stanchion Backing Plates?

I cannot say as my boat is a 83 model year . My plates are aluminum which can corrode. Back the stanchion screws out slowly, turning back and forth as you would if cutting threads . The backing plates can be cut out and replaced , but what a job . Good luck!
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

My understanding is there is a aluminum plate embedded in the fiberglass. I’ve taken my stanchions completely off to polish them and replace the screws with new square headed screws. I didn’t have any issues with this project. I did put a compound on the screw threads to prevent electrolyzes between the SS screws and aluminum plate that’s embedded in the toe rail.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Tefgel works well to prevent corrosion on the threads.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Tefgel works well to prevent corrosion on the threads.
    That’s the one I used. I couldn’t remember the name. FYI use just a little. That crap wicks up to the base of the screws and bleeds out during hot weather. It’s been 3 years and I’m still wiping it off. And I didn’t use that much.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for the comments.
    YouTube has a video showing that one can drill the bolt hole larger, then fill it with epoxy with the bolt in place. It says the bolt can then re unscrewed after it is hard and it makes a good secure fastening. May give that a try after I can remove the bolts, which may be the biggest challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Thanks for the comments.
    YouTube has a video showing that one can drill the bolt hole larger, then fill it with epoxy with the bolt in place. It says the bolt can then re unscrewed after it is hard and it makes a good secure fastening. May give that a try after I can remove the bolts, which may be the biggest challenge.
    Once you get the old bolts out, you may be able to just run a tap through to chase the threads and reinstall without the drilling and epoxy.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Once you get the old bolts out, you may be able to just run a tap through to chase the threads and reinstall without the drilling and epoxy.
    Thanks for all the good suggestions.

check back in and let me know how getting the bolts out went.
    its on my list of to do's
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUE_NAME View Post
    check back in and let me know how getting the bolts out went.
    its on my list of to do's
    Okay, will check back. But won't do this until warmer weather comes ... I am in the best weather in Canada (Windsor, but it still gets too cold for that kind of work). Also shrink wrapped so can't work under the wrap. Probably April or May. In the meantime working inside, changing belts, etc.
    Very nice winter here so far ... only one or two degrees above or below freezing and no snow, but likely to change. We could do with a bit of global warming ...

1973 38' Hatteras FBDC. 427s with 300hp