Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Possible new owner

I am a surveyor and I agree with JLR. However the mistake a lot of buyers make, which is usually driven by a lazy broker, is doing both the general and the mechanical survey on the same day. I can’t tell you how many times I have told brokers to get the mechanical survey before the general, especially on gas boats. If the engines have problems you can decide weather to proceed Or pull the plug before you incur the general survey expense. Many times I am on the boat doing the general while the mechanic is doing the engines and problems with the engines are found and the buyer decides to back out, so the buyer has to pay both of us. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

JLR has it correct. I say this like a mantra: "Don't skip any steps"
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many here would allow a potential buyer to perform a borescope / compression test (assuming all cylinders both engines). Seems a bit invasive with possibility to throw some stuff out of whack.
    For a boat and engines like this, I would walk away if they refused. The only exception would be if the owner allowed the surveyor to personally speak with the rebuilder, if they agreed. Not al lot of experience with engine surveyors, but what I have says it's a routine part of a good engine survey in order to get a clean bill of health. And to do a compression check the injectors have to be removed which is a perfect time to get them checked too, especially on the engine thats smoking. Another exception might be if the owner gave a written engine warranty for 100 hours, which they would never do.

It seems rare that buyers or sellers go as far as a compression test. My boat does 18.5 knots wot. I would have to be hard pressed for buyers to entertain a compression test on a boat that doesn't exhibit issues. I would tell the buyer to go find a boat that needs a compression test to buy. I liked Oscar's answer. His mechanic. Unfortunately, I haven't needed a mechanic yet so I don't have one I can trust yet.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

All of these boats are old, now, but some are 'older' than others. By which I mean that 'old' is not just a function of age, but of care.

Eric is right. Do ALL the steps, do them in order, take your time, because the longer you look, the more you find, and be involved.

As to the $1500 'learning experience', that was a bargain. Ask me about some of the cars I've bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't needed a mechanic yet so I don't have one I can trust yet.
    That’s really hard luck.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Lol. Yeah, that did come out funny.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I am a surveyor and I agree with JLR. However the mistake a lot of buyers make, which is usually driven by a lazy broker, is doing both the general and the mechanical survey on the same day. I can’t tell you how many times I have told brokers to get the mechanical survey before the general, especially on gas boats. If the engines have problems you can decide weather to proceed Or pull the plug before you incur the general survey expense. Many times I am on the boat doing the general while the mechanic is doing the engines and problems with the engines are found and the buyer decides to back out, so the buyer has to pay both of us. John
    So....... I'm thinking this, from past experience. You're talking about a mechanical engine survey before general. Normally, wouldn't you want the hull pressure washed before doing a full run out for the engine survey? RPMs and such. Time check to get on plane, etc. I'm thinking first thing in the morning both the engine and hull surveyors on the boat with a 10-15 min run at slow speed run directly to the haul out. This gives each a chance to start their checks. Haul boat, surveyors check the hull, after a pressure wash, for blisters and the usual stuff. Then resplash and head for the full RPM runout and whatever else the engine guy/lady want. Return to dock and the hull and interior checks continue. Otherwise, the boat would need to be run twice, yes?

Just now seeing this thread. If you're not worried someone might buy it out from under you, where is this boat and what is her name?

The Hatteras family is pretty small, and there's a good chance someone on here may know the boat. Could save you a lot of grief, not to mention money. Hope it works out for you as those are great boats.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Freeebird is correct .

A simple 'Does anyone know the vessel (name) in (city)?' will usually give you a few responses.