Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Possible new owner

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    I am new to this forum. I’ve been a member of clubsearay.com for many years. I am impressed with the response to my initial question. Most of the questions given in replies I have no answer to as yet. You have all given me a lot to look into. Thankyou so much. If my decision to move forward with the purchase is yes....,I look forward to being a productive member of this forum

I am considering a 1981 Hatteras 56 MY. A lot of steps to be made until an actual purchase. Thanks once again
    I have to make my purchase decision on an '84 52C on Saturday...and plan to spend most of that day crawling through the boat with my ol' marine mechanic buddy.

Over the past couple weeks, I've spent free time reading through the threads on here. By doing so, I'm starting to get a feel for what Hatteras did correctly (a lot) and what could be a concern. Armed with this book of real info, I've created what I think is a pretty awesome list of things to check on Saturday.

Ya know, it's always the bus you didn't see! If I'm focused on the ER, it could be a rotten floor and bulkhead under the washing machine which ends-up being the nightmare. Or the wiring exposed under the sink...or a never serviced windlass. 32 volt?? <maybe I've read too much!>

Update: The broker and seller both have indicated a full engine survey us acceptable on my dime. Full maintenance logs and rebuild records will be provided within days. Thank you all once again

That would give me a warm fuzzy going forward. Good luck with the process and hope it works out in your favor!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    Update: The broker and seller both have indicated a full engine survey us acceptable on my dime. Full maintenance logs and rebuild records will be provided within days. Thank you all once again
    I would be specific about taking the engines apart. I did a full engine survey on my first prospective Hatteras, and it did not include taking the engines apart. It failed, but it even failed the sea trial, so I wasted money on the engine survey. On my second Hatteras, I did not order an engine survey, just the boat survey and sea trial. It passed an extensive sea trial with flying colors, so I didn't order an engine survey. Also, the original mechanic (as in been with the boat since the PO bought it new) was there to do the sea trial and the engines had been factory rebuilt recently and the genset was brand new. I learned a lot from the first Hatteras and if I had saw anything out of the ordinary I would have probably followed up with an engine survey, if I was still interested.

In any event, you should first examine the boat yourself, before any survey, get them to run it, and if you are lucky, even take it out (depends on the seller), before ordering any surveys. That was the mistake I made with my first Hatteras. No use getting an engine survey on a dog, unless the deal is very good and you want to know what kind of engine work is needed to get it running. But the boat you are looking at has only 600 hours on the engines.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 01-11-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I would be specific about taking the engines apart. I did a full engine survey on my first prospective Hatteras, and it did not include taking the engines apart. It failed, but it even failed the sea trial, so I wasted money on the engine survey
    Rather an odd way to view it I’d say. You saved a lot because you bought a survey.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Rather an odd way to view it I’d say. You saved a lot because you bought a survey.
    It was wasted. There were enough visual clues (corrosion etc) that the engines were in troubled shape And the owner never mentioned (nor did my shitty broker ever inquire) that the boat hadn't been used in a few years. I was a newbie. I am not against engine surveys at all, and typically, you are right, it is the best money spent, especially when they turn up problems, but I will never pay for an engine survey first again. If anything, it was a $1,500 learning experience. Granted, I didn't know then what I know now, but still, I would take a good look at everything first and at least get them to start the engines, before I start spending on surveys.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    It was wasted. There were enough visual clues (corrosion etc) that the engines were in troubled shape And the owner never mentioned (nor did my shitty broker ever inquire) that the boat hadn't been used in a few years. I was a newbie. I am not against engine surveys at all, and typically, you are right, it is the best money spent, especially when they turn up problems, but I will never pay for an engine survey first again. If anything, it was a $1,500 learning experience. Granted, I didn't know then what I know now, but still, I would take a good look at everything first and at least get them to start the engines, before I start spending on surveys.
    Ah, you didn’t mention not looking at the boat first. I agree, it was a waste. Sorry for the confusion.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I owned a 1981 56 MY. Great boat. As far as buying boats of this size and vintage, there is a fairly common chronology. Deviation from this chronology by either a buyer or seller is often a red flag. First, all offers must be in writing accompanied by a 10% deposit check. Once you have an accepted offer, it should be subject to a survey and sea trial. Any visual inspection should take place before the survey and sea trial. The survey will include a full engine survey and a mechanical survey of the boat. All are at the expense of the buyer with exception of the Captain to run the boat for the sea trial and any pressure washing on the haul out. There are usually limitations on how long the sea trial will be and how long the buyer can run the boat at WOT. All service records should be provided BEFORE not at survey so the buyer can walk before spending the money for the survey. Once the survey and sea trial are over, the re-negotiation starts. Assuming the seller and buyer agree on the exceptions and who will bear the expense of fixing them, you agree again on the final purchase price and set a closing date, usually within 14 days thereafter. In my experience, NOTHING gets turned on, no ride takes place and no engine inspections etc. are to take place until an agreed contract price with a deposit has taken place. There really is no secret to this sequence. Eric can chime in but in 40 years of buying and selling boats, this has been the accepted norm. Deviate at your own risk.

For sure you can visit and go onboard before and offer is made !?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    For sure you can visit and go onboard before and offer is made !?
    Absolutely. You should be able to board, inspect, hang out (a little), look at the engines, electronics, bilges, open hatches, etc. in the presence of a broker, without obligation.
    You cannot turn anything on, take anything apart, or get a ride without a signed contract.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331