Quote Originally Posted by Finnley View Post
So....... I'm thinking this, from past experience. You're talking about a mechanical engine survey before general. Normally, wouldn't you want the hull pressure washed before doing a full run out for the engine survey? RPMs and such. Time check to get on plane, etc. I'm thinking first thing in the morning both the engine and hull surveyors on the boat with a 10-15 min run at slow speed run directly to the haul out. This gives each a chance to start their checks. Haul boat, surveyors check the hull, after a pressure wash, for blisters and the usual stuff. Then resplash and head for the full RPM runout and whatever else the engine guy/lady want. Return to dock and the hull and interior checks continue. Otherwise, the boat would need to be run twice, yes?
This is generally how you do it because of the number of trips that would be required. In my earlier post, my mistake was to not do a more thorough inspection myself, before ordering any survey. Of course, that is easy to say now that I have had one of these for a couple years. Previously, I didn't know anything about big boats. Freebird has the right idea. Most of the owners here know these boats better than any general surveyor. Even I (now) would only hire a general surveyor because insurance requires it.