Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Longest boat to winter store on land?

In my search, we have been looking at anything from 53' to 85'

A buddy of mine told me that the larger boat don't go on land for the winter months, they are just bubbled.

Is this true? Why? and at what size does the switch occur?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a newbie question!

Re: Longest boat to winter store on land?

It would certainly depend on the availability of lift capacity in the area more then anything.

Depends on where you are and what facilities you have

Most larger boats, over 70/75 go south for winter.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I would look at length more as a function of whether it would preclude me from certain harbors. For instance, up here with my 58, I’m at the upper limit of being able to get a mooring at say Oak Bluffs in Martha’s Vineyard, and while I enjoy having a slip, it’s about $1800/week, so gets pricey fast. Other harbors around Cape and the Islands are similar. Newport has a little more room but not much. Sadly I store my boat on the hard for the winter and I’m in Wickford RI. Can’t wait fir the day when I don’t have to winterize!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

I'm 60' and its not the length or weight so much as it is height. I have a 7' mast on top of the radar arch and at the trailers lowest setting I clear the top of the door by 4 inches. If it wouldn't have fit the sawzall the PO left would have come in handy, I'm serious. There are a few others in my barn that are the same length or a little larger but much shorter.
    Long and short of it is weight and height in this area (northern IL) would be the limitation
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    I would look at length more as a function of whether it would preclude me from certain harbors. For instance, up here with my 58, I’m at the upper limit of being able to get a mooring at say Oak Bluffs in Martha’s Vineyard, and while I enjoy having a slip, it’s about $1800/week, so gets pricey fast. Other harbors around Cape and the Islands are similar. Newport has a little more room but not much. Sadly I store my boat on the hard for the winter and I’m in Wickford RI. Can’t wait fir the day when I don’t have to winterize!
    John,
    Are you really paying $1800 per week? At $1800 per week, $7200 per month would be $125 per foot. Roughly. Wow? 