Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Possible new owner

Plasma, how's it proceeding?

Mass quantities of good discussion. But I have not seen mention of the standard starting test, iusually seen here:
    1) Verify engines are at ambient temperature (have not been started, before you arrive)
    2) If engines are reasonable, should start in 3-8 seconds; may start immediately
    3) The standard quoted here has been a good engine will stop smoking in "15 seconds"

I find this true on my 1972 43' DCFB with DD 6-71N's (Naturals).
    One engine was in-framed, about 100 hours before I bought the boat. The other engine is original state. Both have about 2,200 hours.
    1) The in-framed passes the 15 seconds, then no smoke test
    2) The original is grumpy to start, then smokes for about a minute; not massively, but not clear. In fairness, I block heat the orig state engine and avoid the smoking grief.

P.s., to me is mandatory that when started, the oil pressure gauge should rise to about 55-60#'s, then drop back to 50#'s. Both my engines do that. This is due to a pop-off valve on oil pressure that releases at 50#'s. When out running at cruise, should hold a steady 50#'s and idle hot at 15-20#s. I am surprised that boats being test/sea trialed, e.g. on Youtube, do not run at 50#'s, sometime much less.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 02-27-2021 at 12:03 AM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I’m trying again...

Phasma... any luck ? I hope it worked out for you.